OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Forsaken77 , the funny thing is that we both live in Long Island. If there was an argument for unjustified over paying, it's not our skimmers, it's our homes - which cannot be justified by rational economics

Did you always live in Huntington? I went to St. Anthony's right there. I knew a Mike D but he lived in Hampton Bays.

I grew up here. The frigin prices to live here are crazy. Like it's Hawaii or something.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m good the 20k+ a year in property taxes let alone the baseline prices of your guys houses. I left 10 years ago and would love to go back but can’t stomach pay cut. The irony is I’d probably gross 30k+ more moving back...

Where did you move to? And where did you live on LI? A lot of people I know are moving to the Carolinas because it's getting to expensive to live here. That property tax cap bill really nailed us.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you move to? And where did you live on LI? A lot of people I know are moving to the Carolinas because it's getting to expensive to live here. That property tax cap bill really nailed us.

I didn’t live in li but lived in westchester (Yonkers, mahopac, chappequa) then moved to Poughkeepsie for some relief. Now I’m in Florida, which I think is getting expensive until I talk to my brother who still lives in wc. The tax bill on his house is the same as my rent lol

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked up the skimmers. the older models of the elite are listed for $100 less than the newer identical models. The newer models are $100 more and have the VarioS DC Pump. Thus, there is a $200 difference between the external pump design with the older pump and the internal with the new pump with $100 difference being related to the VarioS DC Pump. Octo claims these pumps are specifically made for protein skimmers.

as for lost sales, seems the sales that would be lost would have been to people who could not fit the regular skimmer in their sump, but now for $100 more (apples to apples) can buy the smaller foot print model.

fwiw, my skimmer cost under $100 and my nitrates were 0 a few days ago, but then again, I rarely spend more than $20 on a coral. If I was spending $1000 on a bounce I might have a different view of my hardware choices.

I think we may be talking about different things. Just showing you what I was referring to. No big deal, just clarifying...

Screenshot_20171228-223614.png

Screenshot_20171228-223505.png

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t live in li but lived in westchester (Yonkers, mahopac, chappequa) then moved to Poughkeepsie for some relief. Now I’m in Florida, which I think is getting expensive until I talk to my brother who still lives in wc. The tax bill on his house is the same as my rent lol

My friend keeps trying to get me to go to Florida, on the Gulf coast. He hates living there, but said your money goes so much further. My grandmother has lived in Florida 30+ years after moving from here. She says it's all the dang northerners moving down here that's making the prices go up, lol.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeeze my handmade lifereef svs24 was cheaper then those.

I looked at Lifereef also. It's just the way the guy presented himself that I didn't like. When somebody pitches me I want them to tell me why I should buy his product, not why I shouldn't buy anyone elses.

But I was upgrading tanks and wanted to get the proper gear the first time around because nothing was getting carried over from the old tank. The new tank is double the size. So I figured to do it right once and that's it.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend keeps trying to get me to go to Florida, on the Gulf coast. He hates living there, but said your money goes so much further. My grandmother has lived in Florida 30+ years after moving from here. She says it's all the dang northerners moving down here that's making the prices go up, lol.

Florida is definitely not my favorite place to live... But even with prices going up the past few years it still has some of the best pay to cost of living ratios in the country. Makes it hard to leave

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at Lifereef also. It's just the way the guy presented himself that I didn't like. When somebody pitches me I want them to tell me why I should buy his product, not why I shouldn't buy anyone elses.

But I was upgrading tanks and wanted to get the proper gear the first time around because nothing was getting carried over from the old tank. The new tank is double the size. So I figured to do it right once and that's it.

Jeff is definitely an acquired taste lol. But man he makes some exceedingly nice stuff. It’s hard to describe how well it’s made until you see the craftsmanship in person.
e57e119b32aa611d848d3648d705740b.jpg
53f6dc53591d68288c389a6296981e8a.jpg

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we may be talking about different things. Just showing you what I was referring to. No big deal, just clarifying...

Screenshot_20171228-223614.png

Screenshot_20171228-223505.png

yup, i was looking at those extact ones on marinedepot. , the $649 has "Reef Octopus Controllable DC 3500s Pinwheel Pump" I went to the RO site and they only list the newer Vario pumps for both Elites

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, i was looking at those extact ones on marinedepot. , the $649 has "Reef Octopus Controllable DC 3500s Pinwheel Pump" I went to the RO site and they only list the newer Vario pumps for both Elites

Yeah, both skimmers used to come with the older, red controller and bubble blaster pump before they came out with the better VarioS pumps :). Marine Depot just didn't change the description when they updated the pumps (they changed the picture of the old red controller though). That's why RO lists both with the VarioS, like you said. It doesn't come with the 3500 pump anymore.

It's supposedly a great skimmer though, both of them ;).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff is definitely an acquired taste lol. But man he makes some exceedingly nice stuff. It’s hard to describe how well it’s made until you see the craftsmanship in person.
e57e119b32aa611d848d3648d705740b.jpg
53f6dc53591d68288c389a6296981e8a.jpg

Ahhh... You went with the entire Lifereef setup? How do you like it? I've heard some pro's and cons. What do you think? You have to use all his stuff because it's designed so snug together, right?

The awesome thing with Jeff is that he can custom make everything to fit your stand. I definitely would've went with him on my 93 cube because the stand is a real pain for equipment. I just found him a bit pushy, lol. After I emailed a question I got bombarded for 2 weeks. Kinda made me feel like he was trying to get rid of something, if that makes sense. But there's no denying his skills.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh... You went with the entire Lifereef setup? How do you like it? I've heard some pro's and cons. What do you think? You have to use all his stuff because it's designed so snug together, right?

The awesome thing with Jeff is that he can custom make everything to fit your stand. I definitely would've went with him on my 93 cube because the stand is a real pain for equipment. I just found him a bit pushy, lol. After I emailed a question I got bombarded for 2 weeks. Kinda made me feel like he was trying to get rid of something, if that makes sense. But there's no denying his skills.

My experience was a bit different since I knew I wanted one of his systems and exactly what I wanted. My conversation with him was more like hi Jeff put me on the list, I have this much space and want this sump design lol. I really like it though as it maximizes my available space which is tight at 21”x21”. In that space he made room for 2 media reactors, a skimmer, and a large frag tank (almost 10 gallons). The only con is I would have gone with 2 “bio” reactors if I was ordering again as I am not really a fan of the down-flow reactor and wish I could run gfo. Overall though I’m a happy customer and for about $1500 (after shipping charges) feel like I got great value overall (sump, flanged skimmer, 2 reactors , plumbing, custom colors, pumps, etc.).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back