We Should Vote With Our Wallets!!!

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that most aquarium gear has gotten ridiculously overpriced over the past few years. I don't think we should buy into it. Even the premium brands like Ecotech, Neptune, Vertex, AI, and Maxspect have all had issues with quality control, yet command a premium price.

I'll give you an example... While looking for a skimmer for my 180 build I was considering the Reef Octopus Elite (which is never part of ANY sales btw). The internal model, with exterior pump, was what I wanted but wouldn't fit the sump chamber. The space saving version is $200 more. I opened a ticket to Reef Octopus asking if this space saver is gold plated and why an internal pump, inside the body, costs $200 more than a more efficient version with the external pump.

The response I got said that there's extra acrylic for the space saver pump. Yeah, maybe $20 more acrylic.

I feel we need to stop with brand recognition and supporting the blatant price gouging this industry is becoming so comfortable with as far as equipment goes. The markup on all of this gear is crazy, especially skimmers.

I feel we should buy what works at the cheapest price, not by brand, and teach these manufacturers that we will leave them standing there with their proverbial high priced junk in their hands.

The only way they will lower these prices are if people stop buying it. I can see lighting being a grey area, but a black box with better quality control would be just as good as a $700 light.

That's my rant. I feel most people should be able to experience this hobby and the price prohibits that for a lot of people.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I buy jebao. I do spend when it counts, but is one water splasher 10x better than another that has similar features? There are things that count and things that are hype. My reef octopus 220 skimmer is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and parts are affordable and easy to repair. Coralvue support is great, like really great, so when I find a good company, I support them, but it's really a financial decision as their equipment is going to last because I can repair it. Everything breaks eventually, if your investment can be kept up with modest costs in the long run, it's cheaper than buying two in the same 10 year stretch. With that said, maybe a tunze or vortex is a better water splasher that lasts longer... It's a decision everyone has to make for themselves what has value.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! I buy very carefully. a plain Ole Skimmer in my OP works just as well as one that's all adjustable. Air flow ,water flow etc.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it is simple math...I cannot bring myself to pay $349.00 for 1 powerhead when there are some many options out for WAY LESS money and does the same job..
If you are one to chase Brand name labels with super inflated pricing then thats the person choice,,but why pay 6-8 times more something ??

I have 11 powerheads in 3 tanks on one sump,,you would be crazy to pay $349.00 pc..That is $3839.00 just in power heads for this name brand..Thats crazy.
I have jeboa wave makers that are going on 2 years old for $69.00 pc..
And that is just a power head,,imagine all the other equipment involved in a reef tank..Ouch ,,my head hurts.
As long as they keep getting sales with these inflated price tags then its not going to change..

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy my BMWs used.

I feel like there is way more variation in value in reefing than in automotive. New Deltec dc skimmer with Jebao pump is a waste compared to a RO with a Varios pump. I am not knocking either selection, I actually use Coral Box and I like them quite a bit.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voting with our wallets is what creates supply and demand. It seems that there is enough demand to keep the prices where they are. There is also always going to be an argument as to quality versus price. Personally I am willing to pay for what I believe to be quality realizing that I may well be overpaying in some cases.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus I'm talking about new aquarium gear, not used. I know there's some good deals to be had, but I always looked at it as inheriting someone else's headache, kinda like a car ;)
Lol.
Lemons die. And ballers throw away the coolest things.

My current 325 had 85k on it and was 10 years old.
My last lights were 2k. Got em for 300.

But yea. Stuff is expensive. Just is.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really it’s greed tho because if these CFOs weren’t trying to get rich. Or get payed 200x more then some of they’re employees,they wouldn’t need to source this stuff in China. I don’t mind paying top dollar for quality but i do mind paying top dollar for China crap that’s being promoted as quality.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think the bigger danger is the invisible hand that is pushing livestock prices to keep pace with the increase in equipment costs. Ask any old timer, back in the 80's, 90's and even early 2000's you ever hear of a $500 mushroom? $100 per polyp zoas? The normative power of the "usual expenses" in this hobby have increased the costs of livestock 10X since I've been in the hobby.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think the bigger danger is the invisible hand that is pushing livestock prices to keep pace with the increase in equipment costs. Ask any old timer, back in the 80's, 90's and even early 2000's you ever hear of a $500 mushroom? $100 per polyp zoas? The normative power of the "usual expenses" in this hobby have increased the costs of livestock 10X since I've been in the hobby.
I just started this hobby 2 years ago but i believe you 100 percent and it’s not just corals evething is going up like the US is hitting some record high gpd

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only mushrooms I remember back in the 90's were those purple or brown discsosomas. They were like $10 a shroom if I remember correctly, and bred like jackrabbits.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started this hobby 2 years ago but i believe you 100 percent and it’s not just corals evething is going up like the US is hitting some record high gpd

I hear the basic premise there but I dont think thats the whole story. Sure a strong dollar, low oil prices, bullish stock markets, etc are increasing consumer confidence and having a (marginal) effect on inflation, I dont think those market factors are directly driving the costs of saltwater aquaria goods. In the last 6-7 years (the point where we can arguably say we turned the corner from the recession) we've seen GDP growth bounce around from 1.5 - 2.5% and inflation anywhere from 0.7 - 3%.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear the basic premise there but I dont think thats the whole story. Sure a strong dollar, low oil prices, bullish stock markets, etc are increasing consumer confidence and having a (marginal) effect on inflation, I dont think those market factors are directly driving the costs of saltwater aquaria goods. In the last 6-7 years (the point where we can arguably say we turned the corner from the recession) we've seen GDP growth bounce around from 1.5 - 2.5% and inflation anywhere from 0.7 - 3%.
Well what aquarium goods are you referring to i was looking at the hardwear side of things

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back