0   0   0
At least people visited your build. I’ve had like 2 at mine. Lol

Gobigorgohome_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a last update to say there won’t be any more updates as I won’t be participating in this forum anymore. I’ll stick to browsing as a guest.

Ah this is a bummer man, I was also really looking forwards to following your build. If you decide not to come back to the thread, best of luck with it :)

OP
OP
Wee Mad Arthur

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to come back with an update after some time away.

Fiddled with lighting intensity and flow. Swapped out my Fluval canister filter for a different canister with built in UV (All Pond Solutions EF1+ 1000 lob, 9w UV aka SunSun). Removed the internal heater and added an external inline Hydor heater. Decided not to keep fish so the cover has gone and put one of my old jebao sw2s back in for surface movement run slowest speed constant. Running the AI Nero 5 at 20% Constant. This gives me a lovely swaying motion on my toadstools. The AI Prime 16 HD is running 40% everything apart from Moonlight 0%, sunrise 8am and sunset 9pm with 1 hour ramp up/down. I think this gives a nice balance, not too white or too blue. Feeding Reefroids along with Seachem Phytoplankton twice a week.

Water change now consists of just cleaning the canister and refilling it. Takes me 5 mins tops.

Filter media from bottom to top:

Tray 1 - Course sponge, fine sponge and included plastic bio media balls
Tray 2 - Included ceramic media, Fluval Bio Max and Seachem Matrix (tray is full to the top)
Tray 3 - Fluval Carbon - changed monthly

Coraline has really taken off and my frag rocks are no longer bright white. Added some more Banded Trochus snails which are an amazing snail. Aiptasia problem is almost non existent now with using Joes Juice, I’ve got 2 or 3 small stubborn ones but no outbreaks now for months. I’ve been able to remove my DIY topup sensor cover and swapped back to my old 15L topup reservoir. Also dropped salinity down to 33ppt from 35ppt after much research.

That‘s it, everything growing great and couldn’t be happier. Barely have to touch it now, just enjoy it.

Some rubbish pictures.
B3A69BB9-EAE2-44EA-BA07-A478BACF1722.jpeg

EF378A5E-2924-436F-8706-7CC4D70F30D3.jpeg

05D5D426-0E3D-45D8-9B1E-1A3F16424267.jpeg

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back!! Looking good!

OP
OP
Wee Mad Arthur

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ready for fish. Used the left over jumpguard mesh on the underside of the egg crate.

FC33FD6A-4B70-4696-916E-BE425E284F48.jpeg

OP
OP
Wee Mad Arthur

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small issue. Whilst admiring my new fish I noticed there was a bit of a gap issue with my cabinet door alignment. On closer investigation with a tape measure I’ve found that the top of the cabinet has bowed by 3mm in the centre. It’s one of those strangely constructed new types that looks like it’s made out of corrugated cardboard. Not sure how long it’s been like this or if it’s gotten worse so I’ve had to order a new cabinet constructed a bit more heavy duty. Unfortunately I can’t have my nice gloss white colour anymore though. New one is actually an Exo Terra cabinet for terrariums but having already got a few around the house know that they are built extremely well. It’s black with black glass door. So, next week I’ll have to do a quick cabinet move with the help of my son.

8D6B1BD6-5593-4559-B7CD-618D2AB8B65A.jpeg

New one
26EBD49E-E147-4E22-B7B8-2C09A6108F87.jpeg

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the fish!! Corals looking good too!

OP
OP
Wee Mad Arthur

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Lots of new growth, sunny d zoas especially are taking off at the moment.

New cabinet arrived today but one of the side panels is structurally damaged and due to Covid the shop isn’t doing phone support so I’m waiting on a reply to my email.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wee Mad Arthur

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The replacement side for the new cabinet finally arrived today so with the help of my son we swapped cabinets. Went pretty quick, I left all the corals in place and drained using some filter hose and refilled using a 3000lph pond pump so that the corals were out of water for as little time as possible.

3DDA2510-981E-43E0-9693-4F58FB77E2A7.jpeg

OP
OP
Wee Mad Arthur

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting quite a build up of oily substances on the surface of the water since adding fish and feeding them. Surface movement not doing anything to break it up so I’ve added an Eheim skim 350 and now back to a nice clean surface. Amazing little thing, can’t even hear it running. Got it running at the slowest speed so not as to mess up my tank flow.

19B0D3D8-B127-4D1A-8A6C-D4F6FE5A41E1.jpeg

OP
OP
Wee Mad Arthur

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturdays are water change day but somehow my hands ended up in the tank and in my spare rock box. Few leathers still sulking, no doubt they’ll shed after this. Looks a little less frag tanky now.

54E66218-C29C-45BA-9B48-520AEA94B035.jpeg

DeanB.reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a last update to say there won’t be any more updates as I won’t be participating in this forum anymore. I’ll stick to browsing as a guest.

That’s a shame, just stumbled across this thread and have exactly the same thoughts as you about canister filters and plan on using one in a sorta unique way for my next tank.

Slide into my DM’s if you’re not keen on answering here anymore but is that an Aquariums4Life tank you have there? About to order one in a couple weeks and would love to hear some first hand customer review

Edit: scrap everything I just said, opened my eyes and actually read the whole thread properly haha.

Looks a nice set up though!

OP
OP
Wee Mad Arthur

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a shame, just stumbled across this thread and have exactly the same thoughts as you about canister filters and plan on using one in a sorta unique way for my next tank.

Slide into my DM’s if you’re not keen on answering here anymore but is that an Aquariums4Life tank you have there? About to order one in a couple weeks and would love to hear some first hand customer review

Edit: scrap everything I just said, opened my eyes and actually read the whole thread properly haha.

Looks a nice set up though!

This is my tank https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/ultra-clear-90l/
No complaints whatsoever with it, love it.

OP
OP
Wee Mad Arthur

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for my records more than anything else.

Changes since last update:

Bulked up the front with artificial rock and rock rubble.
Replaced filter spray bar with nozzle and angled down into tank.
Added a Jebao SW2 either side of the tank in master/slave mode, mode H, night mode pointed at surface.
Nero 5 running 40% pulse, 1 second on, 2 seconds off during the day and 2% pulse, 1 second on and 2 seconds off at night.
Prime 16HD has been reset using the colour temperature mode and set to 20K, 80%.
Alfagrog added to unused space under the carbon in the filter.

D212CC94-3EAE-4B10-B33C-1F7A1C5E5DB7.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back