Weed corals that won’t grow… let’s hear them!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious, what are some of the corals everyone complains about yet you can’t grow them?
I’ll start first with many peoples nemesis… Green Star Polyps (Usually shortened to GSP). For whatever reason I managed to kill mine off, but here’s the catch every other coral (SPS, LPS and mushrooms) in the tank grows! It sounds insane but I’m not kidding, here’s photos from today.
GSP is in the FTS in the very top corner and was thriving for the longest time up there. All of a sudden it dies off yet the Acropora is thriving with very clear new growth.
2906AE69-7115-49B7-91FB-31D7D88D1AD7.jpeg
F6FF920D-8516-4D80-AA11-D5D2BD4C7AE0.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbletip anemones. Everyone else I run into talks about how they're thriving, splitting, etc. Mine either survive and stay in one place or shrivel up and die.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP for sure.

Had a nice "lawn" of it growing up my back glass. One day it decided it was going to die, could never keep it since.

I do have many LPS, and SPS thriving with no issues.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP. I positioned a disk between some brown palys and green discoma mushrooms hoping it's reputations would have it take hold. It was a draw between the palys, the mushrooms eventually covered the disc, shading it. I moved it to the sand bed and it never recovered. I even had a small piece on my overflow box that really didn't take hold.

Many years past it grew well for me.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had many once in my 12 gallon tank that grew out of control but eventually they withered away and I was happy about that at first they were something I liked but they became a hated inhabitant. No longer have that system due to a power outage about 4 years ago and none in my current system.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back