"Weed" tank or just more work?

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update...getting lots of softies that I see lots of negative nellies....Yup I got a Kenya tree, red discomia shroom, green ricordea, blue striped shroom, Blue spotted Red Mushroom (superman) GSP I put on a rock island...Some Zoas. I feel the negative nellies don't "work" on their tanks and don't frag or cleanup soon enough that the sofies overrun the tank. Would you agree or am I in for a tank of overgrowth mess?

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have anything bad to say about any of those corals. Fast growth rate can be an issue but if you spend the time grooming the tank it won’t be a big problem. That said. These things can sneak up on you and sometime removal of excess growth can accidentally spread a coral somewhere you may not want it to be. Resulting in more work later. You do you. Forget the negative nellies.

OP
OP
Nanorock1970

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it! It may be more work to prune your garden, so to speak, but if you stay on top of it you could have a beautiful softy tank. I love GSPs but they are really hard to remove once they get somewhere unwanted.
I am hoping my little rock island will keep it at bay....Not really wanting to have it all over my tank....
Am I mostly safe with the island or does it get around the tank other then slowly spreading out?

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping my little rock island will keep it at bay....Not really wanting to have it all over my tank....
Am I mostly safe with the island or does it get around the tank other then slowly spreading out?
I don't know but I have the same question. I once had GSPs on my glass cleaning magnet and that didn't spread. Forced me to use it a lot to keep it moving.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are all beautiful. The weeds are my favorites.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've had gsp for about 2 years now on a rock island. it's just now started to spread to the substrate, was very easy to trim back to the rock. as long as you don't let that rock touch anything else you should be good.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a softy dominant tank, most of the mushrooms were confined to one side. They are now slowly creeping up the other side and sometimes I'll find a small shroom nested in an overhang which is hard to reach. My rock is mostly attached so I have to try and hit them with aiptasia killing products. I rarely had problems with my colt coral and would snip that back, but recently it has started to bud off as well and I find that poking up in hard to reach places.

Fast growers are fine but when you want a nicer colored zoa to take over, the bland one moves quicker.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely interested in how this goes!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back