weekend blues

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weekend blues, a couple of weekends ago, my clown fish took a dive, last weekend I got stung by the frog spawn and couldnt move my hand for about four hours, and this morning I heard this gugiling sound , it was the siphon begining lost to the refugium, as the pump in the canister filter goes out , the light went out yesterday, and yes, there is no back up pump, can't wait to get back to work monday, gotta make some dough and get another pump, any one got any suggestions? I hope this is not turning in to a weekend trend, not my ideal of enjoyment replacing equipment on the fly /// oh yah, the ro/ unit is out of commission as well, sweet joy. time to trade off some live rock

SlackTide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you taken the canister pump apart? after about 6 hrs the contents of the canister will go sour so don't let it into the tanks, is that the only supply to the fuge? do you have a pump for flow and a heater in there? good luck to you and sorry about the blues lol

OP
OP
sprinklerdudes

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
canister go bye bye, bought a new 1200 pump, dropped it in the sump and got the fuge going agian, hope to install a new iwaki pump in the sump this winter, and tie a small line off it to the fuge with a valve to regulate the flow, already got the fittings and pump, just havn't had time to install it

OP
OP
sprinklerdudes

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
speaking of pouring, last night I was surfing through the forums here, I kept hereing this noise not sure what it was, after about thirty minutes it got louder, I went in the other room which is now flooded with slat water, the 3/4 " hose from the refugium had come off, and had just finished spraying the walls and floor down, and the noise was the pump running dry, no back up r/o water, no salt water, a bunch of coral half out of water, and the cat was screaming wanting out, after he tryed to climb the hose to the refugium, and it came loose spraying him with a ungodly amount of salt water. so there I am at 9 last night with jugs of distilled water from the stop and rob, and a couple cups of salt mix I found left over from something, trying to get clods of hardened salt to disolved I am still not sure how much stuff I killed last night as the swirl of mucus went down the overflow aafter topping off and rebuilding a old foutian pump to get it going agian. I applaud you guys with those beutiful tanks full of high end corol, it seems just as things start looking good, karma bites me in the @88 every time. any one need some landscape plants and material? I need to trade for a new pump, and a bucket of salt and a new ro unit. I hope everyone has better luck than me on weekends.

usctrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can commiserate with you. I have had 3 pumps go out in 2 days. 2 on skimmers and one return. I guess running 3 tanks has a price. Luckily for me I have already been through the floods more than once and may be lucky enough to avoid that in the future.

OP
OP
sprinklerdudes

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know after over 20+ years with freash water, the worst problems I had was people putting stuff in the tank kids toys, bubbles etc. salt water has proven to have a lot of unexpected and often pricey suprises, but the abudent variety of life, and the constent change life, death, and growth is always something new. I hope to totally redo all my plumbing this winter if I ever get some down time, the ol lady dosn't care for the salt water flood , so I can't let that happen any more, lol, guess I need more water volum, like they say if you can't flood at lest the first floor of your home it ain't big enough yet,

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can feel your pain. I lost pretty much the left side of the tank due to my own laziness. Skimmer quit working, pH probe went nuts and cranked up the calcium reactor... killed about half the coral. Or should I say converted them to the arctic white kind.

Fixed what I could, put in a couple of failsafes to try and head off problems before they crop up. We'll see how it works.

Now I need to change water, I just don't feel like doing it right now. :)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 51 44.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back