Is my acro dying?

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! My acro was looking a lil funky after this weekend and I was wondering if it was normal? It was this bright green as it was an ORA frog skin or smth like that, but I came back from a weekend away and it looks significantly darker. The picture where it is the brightest is what it looked like the day I bought it. I can’t test params for a few days, since I’m away the next few days after tmr and rly js wanted to know if it was dying or not.

IMG_0985.jpeg IMG_0986.jpeg IMG_0987.png

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not dying yet. Parameters are needed, alk, calc, phos, nitrate, sg, par if you know. Also do you know the parameters of the tank it came from? What par they used or lighting they used? What lights do you use? Looks to me like its browning out. Could be nutrient or lighting or both.

OP
OP
M

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not dying yet. Parameters are needed, alk, calc, phos, nitrate, sg, par if you know. Also do you know the parameters of the tank it came from? What par they used or lighting they used? What lights do you use? Looks to me like it’s browning out. Could be nutrient or lighting or both.
the lighting I have is 1 32 Hydra for a 50 gal peninsula, the original tank had 2 64 Hydras for a 180 gallon.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the lighting I have is 1 32 Hydra for a 50 gal peninsula, the original tank had 2 64 Hydras for a 180 gallon.
Without par numbers I'd say this may be a reason. The best you can do without information is to keep it in a location that "looks" as close to possible to where it came from. Not all things are equal though, water clarity and surface movement can play big rolls in how much light a coral is actually receiving. You have about 1/3 the area it had previously and only about a 1/4 of the light. At this point its all speculation. Corals "brown" out based on nutrients available including lighting. All the parameters matter.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tested my parameters in about a week. I don't have an at home test kit.
you should definitely invest in a solid test kit, red sea is pretty reliable!

A video showing your flow and system might help so we can get a better idea of lighting and flow

m3xm3xm3x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other corals are in your tank? Do you have any other acros? Some are more forgiving than others

OP
OP
M

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other corals are in your tank? Do you have any other acros? Some are more forgiving than others
My tank is almost entirely Softies, I have some LPS, and a few leptos. This was me just dipping my toe into Acros, I got a really good deal on it.

My tank thread has pics of my tank.

m3xm3xm3x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is almost entirely Softies, I have some LPS, and a few leptos. This was me just dipping my toe into Acros, I got a really good deal on it.

My tank thread has pics of my tank.
for Acro try starting with a green slimer. Or also a purple pocillopora to get you started . If your tank can’t handle those at this point then you know you are not ready for any sps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back