Weekend Disaster

cmor1701d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short version....
I lost about 40 gallons from an overflowing sump onto the floor (thankfully it's tile) past the couch and almost to the sliding door to the rear.

The full version...
So the Current-USA eFlux return pump that came with the tank was not working properly. I contacted the manufacturer as I read several reports of the controller failing and various fixes for it. They sent me a new controller. No change. I could only get 10%-30% output from the pump. Turning it up any higher the pump would stop and start over and over.
Ok, I replaced it with my brand new backup return pump, a cheap Jerepet 3170 gph pump. This pump rocked! Great flow and although not Mobius compatible it does have a feed mode.

That pump is working great for several days. Friday I'm getting ready for some help to reverse the sump as it was installed backwards. That made getting to the socks and other things difficult, not to mention that the front is clear and the rear is blue.
So I'm tidying up some cords and moving some things around and the return pump dies.
I had the original taken apart and sitting in a citric acid bath, so I finished cleaning it up and tested it. It worked but didn't have the flow I expected. Something is better than nothing so I put it in. It worked till Saturday morning and died.

My installer shows up on Saturday and uses my SICCE Ultra Zero in the return section with the Python tubing into the main tank just to get some flow till a replacement pump comes on Sunday. Got the sump reversed and all the cables and cords rerouted, etc.
There's a small drip from a bulkhead so he said he'd be back on Sunday with a new one. Left a pail under the drip, but it's really a slow drip.

My protein skimmer came in so I got that installed too. Unfortunately it wouldn't start. Can't figure out what's wrong so I submitted a trouble ticket.

All 3 pumps are DC so I'm starting to wonder about those in general...

Sunday morning I wake up to find that the protein skimmer started sometime during the night, overflowed and I have a bit of water in the stand and on the floor. I turned down the pump, emptied the collection cup, and configured the air and water levels to be where they should be for a new skimmer. I come back to check on it about 45 minutes later and it's not working again.

My guy texted me that he's on the way. I went to check the tank and see if I needed to do anything before he got here. Well I wanted to check the timer on the fuge light and at some point hit the power on the extension outlet it was on. I turned it back on but didn't notice that the SICCE didn't restart. As he arrives about 10 minutes later I see the flood of water from the sump overflowing. I lost about 40 gallons on the floor (thankfully it's tile) past the couch and almost to the sliding door to the rear.

It's basically cleaned up and I have a fan running blowing into the stand. I have the new return pump and 1 heater working. One or more devices got wet enough to trip the GFCI so I'll add them back 1 by 1 on Monday.

I'm just having equipment issues like crazy. Bought 2 MP40QD'S from another reefer. Neither would stick to the 1/2" 210 gallons tank. One just didn't run. Cleaned the wetsides on both. One is working on my 40 gallon breeder QT tank though it's running at about 20%. I didn't realize it when I bought them but neither are Mobius compatible.
I also bought a MP60mQD from another reefer. It worked great for about a month and just died a few days ago. Cleaning the wetside didn't help.
EchoTech support told me that the 210 might be slightly thicker than 1/2" and that's why the MP40's won't stay attached. Not going to even try on the MP60 as it got knocked off the stand and cracked the dry side.
Not a good week for me. Hopefully it all gets better from here on.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short version....
I lost about 40 gallons from an overflowing sump onto the floor (thankfully it's tile) past the couch and almost to the sliding door to the rear.

The full version...
So the Current-USA eFlux return pump that came with the tank was not working properly. I contacted the manufacturer as I read several reports of the controller failing and various fixes for it. They sent me a new controller. No change. I could only get 10%-30% output from the pump. Turning it up any higher the pump would stop and start over and over.
Ok, I replaced it with my brand new backup return pump, a cheap Jerepet 3170 gph pump. This pump rocked! Great flow and although not Mobius compatible it does have a feed mode.

That pump is working great for several days. Friday I'm getting ready for some help to reverse the sump as it was installed backwards. That made getting to the socks and other things difficult, not to mention that the front is clear and the rear is blue.
So I'm tidying up some cords and moving some things around and the return pump dies.
I had the original taken apart and sitting in a citric acid bath, so I finished cleaning it up and tested it. It worked but didn't have the flow I expected. Something is better than nothing so I put it in. It worked till Saturday morning and died.

My installer shows up on Saturday and uses my SICCE Ultra Zero in the return section with the Python tubing into the main tank just to get some flow till a replacement pump comes on Sunday. Got the sump reversed and all the cables and cords rerouted, etc.
There's a small drip from a bulkhead so he said he'd be back on Sunday with a new one. Left a pail under the drip, but it's really a slow drip.

My protein skimmer came in so I got that installed too. Unfortunately it wouldn't start. Can't figure out what's wrong so I submitted a trouble ticket.

All 3 pumps are DC so I'm starting to wonder about those in general...

Sunday morning I wake up to find that the protein skimmer started sometime during the night, overflowed and I have a bit of water in the stand and on the floor. I turned down the pump, emptied the collection cup, and configured the air and water levels to be where they should be for a new skimmer. I come back to check on it about 45 minutes later and it's not working again.

My guy texted me that he's on the way. I went to check the tank and see if I needed to do anything before he got here. Well I wanted to check the timer on the fuge light and at some point hit the power on the extension outlet it was on. I turned it back on but didn't notice that the SICCE didn't restart. As he arrives about 10 minutes later I see the flood of water from the sump overflowing. I lost about 40 gallons on the floor (thankfully it's tile) past the couch and almost to the sliding door to the rear.

It's basically cleaned up and I have a fan running blowing into the stand. I have the new return pump and 1 heater working. One or more devices got wet enough to trip the GFCI so I'll add them back 1 by 1 on Monday.

I'm just having equipment issues like crazy. Bought 2 MP40QD'S from another reefer. Neither would stick to the 1/2" 210 gallons tank. One just didn't run. Cleaned the wetsides on both. One is working on my 40 gallon breeder QT tank though it's running at about 20%. I didn't realize it when I bought them but neither are Mobius compatible.
I also bought a MP60mQD from another reefer. It worked great for about a month and just died a few days ago. Cleaning the wetside didn't help.
EchoTech support told me that the 210 might be slightly thicker than 1/2" and that's why the MP40's won't stay attached. Not going to even try on the MP60 as it got knocked off the stand and cracked the dry side.
Not a good week for me. Hopefully it all gets better from here

GeneralWrassement

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wowie- as someone who started w a lot of used parts I went thru many of the same issues. I usually buy new these days- everything fails at one point so I always have a back up ready (and or funds). Pretty rough week man I wish you well- I’m currently battling Dino’s, a sketchy protein skimmer, recurrent ich, aiptasia up the wazoo, zero phosphates no matter how much I’m feeding, my torches are ticked and my gonis are dying-so I feel you. Best of luck

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why did the sump overflow? Lol sorry was a long post don't think I saw an explanation for it. Even with a return pump failure You'd hope you have enough volume in the sump for the water.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back