Weeping willow Toad stool dying

WetPringleChip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so im not sure what else to do. I have plenty of lps, zoas, and another leather in my tank doing wonderful. I found a weeping willow locally and picked up a great deal. It looked incredible in the bag and now that its in my tank it has shrunken so much and turned a dark dark pink. Ill attach a before and after. It also doesnt help that i was super gluing a plug to fit onto this orange shroom cage so it could not be bothered by the tiger conch being on the bottom and the insta set sprayed onto some of the polyps :( the flow in the current spot is much better. Its been like this since i put it in and i figured if it was melting it would have died by now. Its slowly coming off the plug its on and im just lost for what to do at this point. Its my dream coral. Ive contacted everyone i possibly could to get something close to the real thing. All the available ones are maybe 3 inch polyps and this one was easily over 4.
IMG_7573.jpeg
IMG_7592.jpeg
IMG_7589.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey so im not sure what else to do. I have plenty of lps, zoas, and another leather in my tank doing wonderful. I found a weeping willow locally and picked up a great deal. It looked incredible in the bag and now that its in my tank it has shrunken so much and turned a dark dark pink. Ill attach a before and after. It also doesnt help that i was super gluing a plug to fit onto this orange shroom cage so it could not be bothered by the tiger conch being on the bottom and the insta set sprayed onto some of the polyps :( the flow in the current spot is much better. Its been like this since i put it in and i figured if it was melting it would have died by now. Its slowly coming off the plug its on and im just lost for what to do at this point. Its my dream coral. Ive contacted everyone i possibly could to get something close to the real thing. All the available ones are maybe 3 inch polyps and this one was easily over 4.
IMG_7573.jpeg
IMG_7592.jpeg
IMG_7589.jpeg
get it off sand and elevate it in the path of moderate-medium flow and moderate light. Likely insufficient flow contributing to this. Assure nitrate and salinity levels are not elevated and adding occasionally iron to water keeps them happy

OP
OP
WetPringleChip

WetPringleChip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don’t think that’s a weeping willow. It looks more like a type of Cespitularia coral. It requires low to medium flow and light but can be acclimated to higher par if needed.
Im glad someone identified it for me. Im no weeping willow band wagon and i dont care if it is or isnt. I just love long flowing subtle polyps. This had it and i didnt see that its almost like a branching coral until it shriveled like this and i got the photo.

OP
OP
WetPringleChip

WetPringleChip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with paliozoic_reefer on both counts, it looks like cespitularia and looks like it doesn't have enough flow
I set it up on a shroom rack for more flow. It doesnt smell bad but it has a weird smell. I just want to keep it alive. I saw that it is like branching and was rethinking the long polyp toad stool or weeping willow. Depends on if the person identifies it super strict or not but this isnt even a toad stool at all. Do i get to research another type of coral i never heard of

OP
OP
WetPringleChip

WetPringleChip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get it off sand and elevate it in the path of moderate-medium flow and moderate light. Likely insufficient flow contributing to this. Assure nitrate and salinity levels are not elevated and adding occasionally iron to water keeps them happy
Awesome sounds like a plan, only thing that was wrong was the flow so i moved it. Thank you!

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck! I’ve been looking for some locally for quite a while with no luck. It looks beautiful when it begins to take over…

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back