weird behavior with my kole tang

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,
i know my question might seems really stupid (actually it is stupid)... but i have to ask because what i have observed with my kole tang seems unreal.

can a fish go poop always at the same spot ? it's almost like a ritual

i have seen my kole tang go near the bottom, his belly practicly touching the sand, and poop exactly at the same spot at a point where i can see a build up of his poop (it's not a build up odue to flow in the tank).
i do see him poop in the water column also, so it's not always on that spot, but i have seen him enougt that i thought it was a funny behavior.

am i crazy ?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never known fish to do that, particularly tangs. You sure it's not scratching on the bottom?

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, not crazy. Mine does it, right in front of one of my Royal Gramma pair's caves. I view it as an act of contempt, as the Kole is not fond of my RGs. :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kole and chevron don't do any of this, I guess my bristletooth tangs are less fun

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i spend some time in front of the tank, and i saw my kole do it 2 times just this evening... so weird

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,
i know my question might seems really stupid (actually it is stupid)... but i have to ask because what i have observed with my kole tang seems unreal.

can a fish go poop always at the same spot ? it's almost like a ritual

i have seen my kole tang go near the bottom, his belly practicly touching the sand, and poop exactly at the same spot at a point where i can see a build up of his poop (it's not a build up odue to flow in the tank).
i do see him poop in the water column also, so it's not always on that spot, but i have seen him enougt that i thought it was a funny behavior.

am i crazy ?
That's funny. My dog does the same thing. Poops in the same place.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly the same thing but my little bristletooth tang would poop right in my other tang's face whenever the bristletooth was chased. There was not real aggression - a mild short chase a few times, till she accepted the bristletooth after 2 days.. The pooping kept the chase short. But it must have been effective. They are now buddies.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also seen the kole eat other fish's droppings - maybe yours was a peace offering?! (~_^)

~B.
Lol...maybe!! I don't know if my other tang felt that way but they now share Nori bits that come off the clip between each other. They get on either side of the shred ( like the spaghetti scene in Disney's Lady & the Tramp).

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my kole can chase my flaemback angels until the poop falls from the angels.... yummy!!!

LOL...my Kole patrols the rocks where my wrasses sleep so he can grab a tasty morsel when they wake up (they always take big poops when they emerge). So gross.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back