IMG_1747.jpeg IMG_1746.jpeg

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's bubble algae.
You're going to get (or read) a *ton* of advice, some of it conflicting, on how to deal with bubble algae. The only thing I'll mention, is that when you get the suggestions to use Vibrant, read up on it before you use it. Don't just go dumping it into your tank.

Also, start looking around your tank. I promise you have more.

Edit: And before you go into panic mode, it's really not that big of a deal. It's not going to hurt anything, but it'll spread if you don't stay on top of it.

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's valonia (bubble algae). I have it in my tank as well. It can take over if you don't do some simple manual removal from time to time. Fortunately the stuff is really easy to remove. I tend to use a toothpick to do so. If I get a rock with a heavy colony on it I'll remove the rock, pick off the stuff, and use an eyedropper to put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide on the spot(s) where it was. That will kill anything left behind (as well as coraline algae, so take that into consideration).

As @Joe31415 said, some are going to recommend Vibrant to kill it. This stuff is a pesticide and can have some awful side effects. I've known people who have used it from the start and swear by it, but I've also known people who have had whole tanks crash when they tried it. YMMV.

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal has always been the best for me when I do water changes I identify which rock needs to come out scrub it all off place back in tank good for a fair while before you rinse and repeat

And like is said above honestly it does not harm anything just looks yuk when it starts to colonise more but if your on top of the scrub you will never get to that point and scattered remnants looks kinda interesting when viewing your tank

I got red bubble and grape algae and it looks kinda cool but I do control it a lot

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: And before you go into panic mode, it's really not that big of a deal. It's not going to hurt anything, but it'll spread if you don't stay on top of it.
This is good advice. There are even places that sell it as desirable macroalgae :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back