Weird bubbling with new xenia coral

Cody000125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All!

I recently got this type of xenia (I think) from my LFS 2 weeks ago. It's starting to get these weird bubbles on it which I think are the polyps. Would love other inputs on what it could be. Is it some die-off due to being in a new tank? Or a pest? I did dip it before adding it to the tank. The first picture is of when I first got it and then from today.

Params if needed:
pH: 8.15
Salinity: 1.026-1.0265
Alk: 8.2
Calc: 441
MG: 1226

Thanks

20240107_101426.jpg
20240118_110118.jpg

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to see anything with the lights like that. Either set them to white (for the picture) or use a bright flashlight to wash out the blues.

I can't see anything in the first picture, but in the second I see a white thing going off to the right.
If you, or the LFS, used superglue (or any CA glue) to attach the frag to the plug or the plug to the rock, it'll do that. Superglue gets real weird under water and does tend to look like white bubbles or globs. If that's what it is, you can just break it off or ignore it.

OP
OP
C

Cody000125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's hard to see anything with the lights like that. Either set them to white (for the picture) or use a bright flashlight to wash out the blues.

I can't see anything in the first picture, but in the second I see a white thing going off to the right.
If you, or the LFS, used superglue (or any CA glue) to attach the frag to the plug or the plug to the rock, it'll do that. Superglue gets real weird under water and does tend to look like white bubbles or globs. If that's what it is, you can just break it off or ignore it.
Got it, I'll take it out and check if it's super glue. And the first picture was before I noticed this happening and right when I put it in the tank. It was highlighting the xenia I thought had turned into the bubbly looking thing lol.

OP
OP
C

Cody000125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Here's a picture of it out of the water. Definitely not glue and seems to be attached to the rest of the coral.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240118_115449_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240118_115449_Gallery.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 62

K-PAX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe it's just growing up and extending the polyps? looks like this?
Screenshot_2024-01-23-17-30-43-075_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back