Weird feather duster thing in torch coral? bad or good

Kevin1214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought this torch coral cause it was cheap and just notice now that i had a little white feathers that come out of a little circle hole in it. has like 3-4 anyone know if this is good or bad Would love some help!

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume they've been there a while and are not harming the coral based on the video it looks healthy. You might do more harm than good trying to rid it of the what appears to be small feather dusters... just my 2 pennies

OP
OP
K

Kevin1214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume they've been there a while and are not harming the coral based on the video it looks healthy. You might do more harm than good trying to rid it of the what appears to be small feather dusters... just my 2 pennies
Sounds good I guess i'll just leave it alone then thank you bro!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought this torch coral cause it was cheap and just notice now that i had a little white feathers that come out of a little circle hole in it. has like 3-4 anyone know if this is good or bad Would love some help!
Those are coral-boring barnacles - harmless filter-feeders.

They can cause the coral to grow a bit oddly (deformed), but they shouldn't actually harm the coral at all unless they're large and the coral's small. Additionally, they're unlikely to reproduce successfully in a normal reef tank.

Personally, I'd keep them and enjoy.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 31 39.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back