Weird, I know but has anyone installed black vinyl or limo tint as a band across a rimless tank?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my vision issue I have become extremely sensitive to light…like beyond belief. I wear blacked out sunglasses indoors and keep the lights off and blinds closed except at night really. The two or three inch band above the waterline has become an issue even with sunglasses. I’m thinking about installing a strip of solid black vinyl or limo tint all the way around from the top edge to just below the waterline. The only issues I can foresee are the flipper outside magnet catching the edge or peeling. I think some tanks come with vinyl across the back and don’t have issues that I’ve heard of. Any advice on type of vinyl to use? Especially if they come in like a three inch wide roll as measuring and cutting is not possible for me without getting someone to help.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use black abs 1/4" thick sheeting cut to size to hide my 3" sandbed and surface.
Its attatched with double sided tape.
This might work for you.
20230126_105904.jpg

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some satin black automotive chrome delete trim rolls in various widths that might work. I’ve never worked with vinyl wrap but have tinted many a windows in my younger days. I’m thinking I can do the front pane by lining it up with the top edge by feel. We’ll see if can cut it along the bevel of the glass at either end by feel. I’m not ballsy enough to install the sides by myself as I’d best case scratch the glass, or worst case cut into the seal as its not an outside corner. Or I could just wait and get some help which is probably better! Thanks for the input

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this to cover up the lowish waterline on my rimmed tank. Should work as they offer varying thickness.

LZLRUN Black Matte Air-Release Adhesive Vinyl Tape Roll - Come with Installation Tool Set (1/2" x 30ft) https://a.co/d/3D7YAZV

Screenshot_20230520-112746.png
This worked out phenomenally! I got the two inch wide version. It’s amazing how much light, glare and shimmer spill and reflect through that sliver of glass above the waterline. I should have done this years ago. Thanks for the link!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This worked out phenomenally! I got the two inch wide version. It’s amazing how much light, glare and shimmer spill and reflect through that sliver of glass above the waterline. I should have done this years ago. Thanks for the link!

Glad it worked out.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it worked out.
Before and after. Probably hard to tell as I’m sure I didn’t get decent pics, but in person the reduced glare, spill and shimmer outside the tank is drastic. Now I just need to find a permanent solution to my cardboard valance I taped around the light fixture.

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpeg
    IMG_0407.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0414.jpeg
    IMG_0414.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 35

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back