270g FOWLR and Fish Room Build (image heavy)

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your sump come with two 1.5" bulkheads in the return section? I ordered the same sump and they said they could only do one 1.5" bulkhead and the second had to be a 1".

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your sump come with two 1.5" bulkheads in the return section? I ordered the same sump and they said they could only do one 1.5" bulkhead and the second had to be a 1".

Yes, it came with two 1.5" bulkheads in the return section. It was something I had them do custom for me. They had said they would both be in the back initially, but as you can see from the photos they are on the end, one in each corner. I'm not sure what might have changed that would not allow for them to do this any more.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home from work today to some bad news. Our clown triggerfish, Krusty, was dead. We noticed last night that he was napping (he always took naps in the evenings) in some odd places, but before lights out he had went back to his normal sleeping spot. I'm not sure what the cause of death was as nothing has changed in the tank and none of the other fish were bothering him and they are all doing fine. Krusty was with us since November of last year.

RIP Krusty

200gBuild_KrustyRIP-7158.jpg

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has just been running smoothly for the most part. I've purchased a larger pump to run the UV and skimmer on. Right now they are on separate smaller pumps. I'm hoping that the one larger pump will flow more water to both. Due to the setup, plumbing is going to be interesting. lol

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated on the plumbing part.
Fish are doing well?

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that stinks, they are pretty hardy fish as well.

Our triggers were the last fish I'd worry about in the tank.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated on the plumbing part.
Fish are doing well?

I had surgery on my wrist right before Christmas, so nothing has been done with the new pump setup. Tank maintence has also taken a hit, so things are some what messing right now. The fish are all doing great though.

Wow that stinks, they are pretty hardy fish as well.

Our triggers were the last fish I'd worry about in the tank.

Do you feed your triggers anything special? I only fed mine the flake/pellet and frozen food that all my fish eat.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had surgery on my wrist right before Christmas, so nothing has been done with the new pump setup. Tank maintence has also taken a hit, so things are some what messing right now. The fish are all doing great though.

Do you feed your triggers anything special? I only fed mine the flake/pellet and frozen food that all my fish eat.

Nothing really. Just mixed up rods and mysis with some formula flakes and pellets. Soaked in selcon.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! Great work! How’s everything going? Fish getting big
Thank you. The fish are getting bigger, but we have had several more die/disappear. We've lost the three smaller wrasses, so I only the six line left. We have also lost the Foxface. I'm not sure of the cause for any of them. Water parameters are fine for a FOWLR tank and nothing new was added to the tank to introduce any type of disease (all other fish are doing great). The largest Hippo Tang decided to beat up the smallest one back in July. I had to pull the little one out to recover. I have in a tank solo still, I want to build more rock structures and provide more hiding/sleeping places in the main tank before reintroducing him. Hopefully that was the cause of the aggression and will solve it.

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. The fish are getting bigger, but we have had several more die/disappear. We've lost the three smaller wrasses, so I only the six line left. We have also lost the Foxface. I'm not sure of the cause for any of them. Water parameters are fine for a FOWLR tank and nothing new was added to the tank to introduce any type of disease (all other fish are doing great). The largest Hippo Tang decided to beat up the smallest one back in July. I had to pull the little one out to recover. I have in a tank solo still, I want to build more rock structures and provide more hiding/sleeping places in the main tank before reintroducing him. Hopefully that was the cause of the aggression and will solve it.
You didn’t lose the other wrasses…they were murdered. My money is the six line….

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did not care about them for over a year and I never saw him mess with them, but that is a strong possibility.
Six lines (actually all Pseudocheilinus) are notorious for being docile for a period of time and then killing every wrasse they see.

Edit - ’m not saying that to be mean or anything. You are not the first person to have that happen. I just got a mystery wrasse and ended up having to give it away for the same reason

jsc04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see a pic! I’m in the planning stages of setting my tank back up (360 gallon). Your stock list is very close to my wishlist!

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six lines (actually all Pseudocheilinus) are notorious for being docile for a period of time and then killing every wrasse they see.

Edit - ’m not saying that to be mean or anything. You are not the first person to have that happen. I just got a mystery wrasse and ended up having to give it away for the same reason

Yes, it is a balancing act with the wrasses. There is a pretty good chart someplace in the Articles section of the site that shows which ones have a chance of being together. But, it is always a crap shoot.

Would love to see a pic! I’m in the planning stages of setting my tank back up (360 gallon). Your stock list is very close to my wishlist!
I'll try and get a shot of the tank in the near future. Right now the house partly torn apart due to a leaky dishwasher :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%

Back