Weird *very* large copepods and short white worms that don’t look like planaria to me.

The1HunnT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the subject said,

I was using my scrubbing magnet which had gone unused for a few weeks as we didn’t have much algae and when I opened the magnet the scrubber side in the tank had several dozen “water insects” for lack of a better word. They were NOT crushed by using it to clean algae off of glass and could cruise through the loops of scrub material with great ease. There were also white short worms that crawl around at night when lights are off, but they haven’t given me problems yet really. I just want to make sure they aren’t pests, and are hopefully helpers of some sort.

I’m attaching a photos (videos failed to upload); keep in mind these are significantly larger than Tisbe B. And others and they all seem to love living in the cleaning matrix of the mag float. They’re quick and scatter to the sides then re enter the scrubbing portion and have different features than copepods I’ve seen.

Any chance they’re shrimp? I only have a pair of camel shrimp in the sump so they don’t eat my coral, but didn’t have the heart to kill them—yet.

Help my community experts!

AppreciTively,

Christopher

0AD80CA0-A4C4-4B28-871E-2846C5724A62.png C2D3DF1C-B94A-4C72-B65E-381EAD75A0AB.png 729B88B2-493E-46F9-A7AA-DF4EE3C5D00E.png CB0FD887-23E9-4DBA-BD3B-F701FB42BB95.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
The1HunnT

The1HunnT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you reef lover. Any idea where they might have come from? The amphipods literally appeared one day in the magnet; I’ve never seen them before in my tank. I tried a new video for identification; hopefully it works better!

The worms I’m less worried about since they haven’t seemed to attack anything.

Thank you! Any other opinions are more than welcome!

Christopher

Attachments

• AFAA1D78-1DDC-48E7-BD15-F49C4DDCB745.MOV
    18.9 MB
Last edited:

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kjs got you!
As far as where they came from...live rock, a coral frag...etc.

OP
OP
The1HunnT

The1HunnT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isopods Munnid and dorvellidaes.
Thank you so very much KJ. I Always endeavor to do my homework to identify before posting, but I was very confused about these guys and they showed up as of overnight—though obviously that’s impossible. I was looking through amphipods species so perhaps that’s why I never found them in my searches.

Much appreciated!

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so very much KJ. I Always endeavor to do my homework to identify before posting, but I was very confused about these guys and they showed up as of overnight—though obviously that’s impossible. I was looking through amphipods species so perhaps that’s why I never found them in my searches.

Much appreciated!
YW ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back