What is this white?

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok still new to this but so far everything is going well. Or so I thought. What is this white stuff? At first I thought it was from the tuxedo urchin grazing over it but I see it on the Astrea snail too. Any thoughts? Parameters are 1.025sg, copper 0, no nitrates or nitrites, CA 40”, chlorine .5 (why?, it’s RO and Pacific water). (RO tests 0), Alk is low at 80 but have been dosing reef builder at water changes and hasn’t raised?), carbonate 180, pH7.8, ammonia 0.

Bodies are 2 orange storm clowns, 3 Trochus, 2 Astrea, 2 Scarlet Herms, 1 Blue leg Herm, 3 Money Cowries, 1 Fighting Conch, 1 Fromia, 1 Tuxedo Urchin, 1 Nlood Shrimp and 1 Skunk Shrimp, 1Emerald Green, 1 Green BTA 4”. Corals - Acan, 2 Candy Canes, Zoa - Rasta and AOI, Orange Branching Hammer, Rasta and Indo Hold Torch. 2 dowsings of mixed copepods a month ago and see them on the rock. Casualties - 1 fire cracker Clove Polyp due to Tuxedo grazing.

Coraline algae has started on sporadic areas.

Algae, I have had some green on the rock and glass which everyone has been snacking on but dropped an algae wafer for the urchin about 2 weeks ago.

Using floss, ChemiPure Blue and Marine Pure in back of Cube32.

Testing is using strips daily and API Reef/Salt kit since they don’t include everything.

Oh. Temp is 78.

Food source is New Life Spectrum Pellets and Mysis or Brine Shrimp.

The clowns are under 2” and now behaving after 5 days in isolation from bullying.

i really thought they took the algae off the rock down to bare white but the Astrea snail is white too.

Everyone seems great and I know is super early for everything. I plan on adding a Fungia or ankther torch this weekend. In a month I was hoping to add a couple more fish but have no idea what. Woii up of like to rent fish (things that get big and just return after 6 months)

Picture are the Astrea with white top shell.

IMG_7982.jpeg IMG_7985.jpeg

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone think I can chance a Tridacna Maxima at 5" yet?
And what coral will do well at 5" from top of standard biocube 32 LED lighting with high water flow? I have a hygger 951 on lowest settings pointed at the inflow diagonally at towards the surface about 4" down. seems to be best for bottom flow and torch movement. AOI's are at the bottom and grew from 4 to 10 polyps in 6 weeks.
I've been feeding the torches and Nem thawed frozen krill but it seems the Nem doesn't want it anymore.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back