What the heck is eating my Berghia?

dadadokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! As stated, I think something is eating all my poor berghia. I’ve got a 29g mixed reef with an ever growing aiptasia problem so I got me some nudi’s, 10 to be exact. Now, this is actually my second time buying berghia because my first 6 all appear to have gone missing. Not like “oh yeah berghia go hide and breed” missing but more of “uh I think these guys got wrecked somewhere.”
My stock:
Mandarin dragonet
2 clowns
1 possum wrasse
2 cleaner shrimp
1 hector’s goby

I didn’t do the best job adding them the first time. Introduced during daytime with the upside down cup method but I didn’t turn the power heads off. I know at least 3 made it onto the rock but the others could’ve been swept away. This time I was a lot more careful. I added the nudi’s at night; turned off my power heads and gently pipetted them up and put em in a nice crevice with aiptasia on the other side. They looked great and immediately laid some spirals!
Cut to now, 5 days later. Originally they were all in their HQ together but have now all disappeared from that spot; even though they’ve all been there this whole time. Worse yet… I’ve noticed a couple egg spirals missing. So someone is certainly having a go at those. I have quite the population of amphipods, copepods, bristle worms, limpets, starfish, and snails (no hermits or crabs). I suspect amphipods or the worms as they parole my rock every night. My shrimp, maybe, but I’ve noticed they seem to just meander around at night and don’t hang out near the nudi HQ. My wrasse has definitely seen some nudi’s passing by as the lights turn on but luckily hasn’t shown interest. It hasn’t been very long at all but given my last experience I’m worried they’ve got too many mini predators in the tank… Thoughts?
Bonus: my little infected reef haha.

48DE0BF4-84CC-49F4-B18F-FFBBB189E2EC.jpeg

OP
OP
D

dadadokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goby, I had to rehome one who was getting fat on berghia
Even though he’s a Hector’s? Now that would be a shock. I’ve never even seen this guy eat mysis, only algae. This certainly isn’t looking good as my predator list is only growing lol.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimmed the thread too fast, mine wasn’t a hector. I also purchased it to help eat algae but he seemed to like reef frenzy frozen and pods instead. Rehomed when my berghia were disappearing. He was a fat court jester. Once gone the Berghia lasted. Just my experience with the berghia issue.
Even though he’s a Hector’s? Now that would be a shock. I’ve never even seen this guy eat mysis, only algae. This certainly isn’t looking good as my predator list is only growing lol.

OP
OP
D

dadadokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small win is there is indeed still a nest at HQ. Probably 8 spirals now and spotted a nudi in a rock nearby. With that said, Pinky will probably be waiting at sunrise for his 5-star breakfast at this rate lol. The aiptasia reign continues…
I’ll give an update for science if things turn out differently. Go ahead and pour one out for the homies though!

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more concerned about the shrimp. They are active at night same as Berghia, I believe your wrasse sleeps at night when the Berghia are out feeding?

OP
OP
D

dadadokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more concerned about the shrimp. They are active at night same as Berghia, I believe your wrasse sleeps at night when the Berghia are out feeding?
Definitely, as soon as it gets dark the wrasse is gone. He’s also up early though so I could imagine some stragglers getting caught. My shrimp are very active during the daytime and seem to mellow out at night; I haven’t seen them posted at HQ either. Hard to imagine any shrimp passing up the slowest meals on wheels ever though.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back