Weird Yellow Mystery Fish, can someone help me ID this?

Darryl1029

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, im kinda new here. so my lfs got this from a fisherman and he himself dont know what fish this is, but he knows that its not a yellow coris wrasse, can someone help me ID this fish?

Capture.PNG

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what it is, but I don't know what it's called!!! It's a type of ultra-cryptic cave fish from deeper water, they live in groups. I know that they are really hard to feed and mostly eat micro inverts. If I can remember the name, I'll let you know!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH! Thats it, they are called Brotulids, AKA 'yellow eel gobies'.
Hmm, perhaps. Looks similar but you can't see any of the defining fins in the OP's pic.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's because it's out of the water. The fins retract against the body when out of water.
Hmm, perhaps. Looks similar but you can't see any of the defining fins in the OP's pic.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's because it's out of the water. The fins retract against the body when out of water.
Thank you, yes. Unfortunately this fish was cruelly photographed out out of the water. Could you see how that would be an issue to make a positive identification? I am not disagreeing with you, only trying to positively identify the fish for the OP. In fact I think that you are correct.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, yes. Unfortunately this fish was cruelly photographed out out of the water. Could you see how that would be an issue to make a positive identification? I am not disagreeing with you, only trying to positively identify the fish for the OP. In fact I think that you are correct.
I see no issue with out of water photos, when taken humanely. Most often they are taken during transport, when the fish would already be out of the water, and an extra 2 seconds doesn't do much harm at all. However, out of water pics are useless enough that I don't get why people still do it xD
But that's derailing the thread. No offense taken my friend!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I see no issue with out of water photos, when taken humanely. Most often they are taken during transport, when the fish would already be out of the water, and an extra 2 seconds doesn't do much harm at all. However, out of water pics are useless enough that I don't get why people still do it xD
But that's derailing the thread. No offense taken my friend!
Absolutely no offense taken, I hope that is reciprocal. I am only trying to identify a fish. Out of water or not.

So to the one question asked though... The one question that I asked you when you replied to me that the fish was out of water and that is why it's fins were retracted and thus not identifiable...

Could you see how that would be an issue to make a positive identification?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, yea its unfortunate that most of the lfs in my country take the fish out of water to photograph them, i'll be getting that fish for my 400g tank since it seems to be pretty rare and unique
I would jump on this fish, you do not see fish like this often.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back