Well, this is a real bummer

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sucks losing them like that. I lost a very pricy, endangered macrostoma to leaping from the only gap in the lid. I know these are highly accurate jumpers, and keep tight lids on the tanks. I pulled a piece of tape off around the intake and forgot to put it back. No idea how she knew it wasn’t there anymore :(

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, and what REALLY sucked was having two fish die in the same day.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And completely different tanks too. I’ve never known Corys to be so aggressive though. But I’ve never kept those.

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gobsmacked; I've NEVER ever heard of aggression issues between them before.

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I feel your pain, it happened 2 days after quarantine, and he was in his nice new DT. I had an exquisite wrasse jump out when I was doing some maintenance, and the lid was pulled forward a couple inches. Found him dried up on the ground after he failed to show up for breaKfast:(

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's really such a kicker after all of that time and careful effort ensuring they are healthy.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... before you have to change your screen name to ReallyAngryMike, I apologize. I misread your post and thought that you were there within minutes of the jump.

Sorry for your loss, no one likes to have that happen.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sad, but I really feel more bad for the poor fish. One day out of boring quarantine and in a nice, big tank, aaaaand dead.

Sorry to hear about your dart fish. I love dart fish, but man, they are so prone to jumping :(

Hence why they are called dartfish. I get the Zebras for small schools/groups but after my experience with my Purple Firefish and Scissortail Dartfish in my old tank I am very wary of getting anymore dartfish. Too skittish for my tastes.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it have gotten through any cutouts or along the edges of the overflow and flopped around on the top vs through the mesh ? Would have to be really thin to get in the mesh? I have a zebra that used to jump through the space between the overflow and the top of the tank (it was an acrylic tank that had its whole top covered except for a center cut out. It came with a lid for the overflow section but I had it off since my light was clamped on its back. The zebra would always make it down the tubing into the sump.

Once I cut a notch in the overflow lid and was able to put the lid back, it never did it again.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds about right; I have a shamrock, and a catalina. And four cockatoos, because I am insane.

Sorry for your loss. I often consider why I am in this hobby when one does so tragically when still so young.

I love birds. Enjoy them. I am allergic to them. So I enjoy the outside variety.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished up the one month quarantine of a trio of scissor tail dart fish yesterday. They went into my 90 gallon Red Sea tank last night. The tank has a Clearview lid on it; 1/4" netting.

Fed the tank two hours ago, and enjoyed watching the trio go crazy for food. Just went into my tank room a few minutes ago, and the smallest one had managed to jump THROUGH the netting, and was laying on top of it dead.

Man. That sucks.
Bummer

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back