Well this is what i did today what about you?

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am a casualty of the winter storm in Texas. We were without power for about 32 hours, of course when it was the coldest. Everything just got too cold.

We had been sort of talking about upgrading, but not super serious. But since I'm practically starting over anyway, I'm in the market for a bigger tank! I broke this one down today. All the dead coral is heart breaking.

20210220_091913.jpg

20210220_173147.jpg

Put all the live rock in my emergency tub with a rudimentary closed loop. Hopefully the rock is still 'live' enough to try and insta-tank the next one.

20210220_173114.jpg

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about your loss. It looked like a great tank.

Thanks for sharing this. It serves as a good reminder to everyone here to take a minute to think about their backup systems again.
I know this event has got me taking a second look for shortcoming in my setup.

...and today I clean out my return plumping and did water changes. Was nice to have things flowing smooth and quiet again.

OP
OP
Shameless_Dood

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about your loss. It looked like a great tank.

Thanks for sharing this. It serves as a good reminder to everyone here to take a minute to think about their backup systems again.
I know this event has got me taking a second look for shortcoming in my setup.

...and today I clean out my return plumping and did water changes. Was nice to have things flowing smooth and quiet again.

Yup I agree. What I have tried to come to terms with. In texas the problem normally isn't keeping a tank warm it's keeping one cool. So outside of battery back ups for flow, never would have thought I would have needed to find a way to heat a tank for 32 hours. What happened was one of those once every 25 years kind of storms for us. So I am trying not to kick myself too hard.

That all being said, I do think I am going to invest in a generator capable of powering the whole house.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horrible, you had some serious colonies too :(
Im guessing this is going to be the biggest mass tank crash event this hobbies seen yet...

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your rock will be good for the insta set up on the next tank. I’m sorry you had to go through this as it is frustrating. Don’t forget to ghost feed the rock weekly.

OP
OP
Shameless_Dood

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry to see this. That is a heartbreaker if I ever saw one. I will be looking forward to seeing your next set up though. Clearly you can grow sps! you'll be back in shape before you know it.

Man,this means a lot coming from you. Several of those colonies actually came from your collection. Hopefully I will be going tank looking tomorrow. Once I'm set up, I will for sure be making several orders from ya to get stocked back up.

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I agree. What I have tried to come to terms with. In texas the problem normally isn't keeping a tank warm it's keeping one cool. So outside of battery back ups for flow, never would have thought I would have needed to find a way to heat a tank for 32 hours. What happened was one of those once every 25 years kind of storms for us. So I am trying not to kick myself too hard.

That all being said, I do think I am going to invest in a generator capable of powering the whole house.
I know it’s kinda too little too late but I recently ran into the same problem I live in New Mexico and it’s been really cold lately and two weeks ago my igniter on my heater went out. And on a Friday night no less so I couldn’t get a new one til Monday by Sunday am when I went to switch on the lights I noticed the water felt cold. And sure enough it was down to 65 degrees so I ran to the kitchen and started boiling water which I put into a hot water bottle and floated it in the tank which helped to bring up the temp til I was able to get the part needed and get my house warmed back up. Hopefully you never have to go through that again though sorry for the loss. Tank tear down due to neglect is one thing but having to tear down a tank due to something completely out of your control is jus heartbreaking.

OP
OP
Shameless_Dood

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s kinda too little too late but I recently ran into the same problem I live in New Mexico and it’s been really cold lately and two weeks ago my igniter on my heater went out. And on a Friday night no less so I couldn’t get a new one til Monday by Sunday am when I went to switch on the lights I noticed the water felt cold. And sure enough it was down to 65 degrees so I ran to the kitchen and started boiling water which I put into a hot water bottle and floated it in the tank which helped to bring up the temp til I was able to get the part needed and get my house warmed back up. Hopefully you never have to go through that again though sorry for the loss. Tank tear down due to neglect is one thing but having to tear down a tank due to something completely out of your control is jus heartbreaking.

Yeah I would have done the boiling water thing but I couldn't even boil water! I was literally helpless.

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would have done the boiling water thing but I couldn't even boil water! I was literally helpless.
Your only as helpless as you let yourself be. I woulda been outside burning trash heating snow to boil and use. If there’s a will there’s a way. But what can we do about it now.. that really does suck though I jus lost my bubble tip anemone cause it ripped itself in half trying to squeeze through a rock during the night. And I was all sad about jus one creature I could only imagine the whole tank. Hopefully you never have a next time to need to know these things for the future.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back