My LFS did me dirty...what would you do?

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dumped that sand into many tanks over the years. Never rinsed because you usually don't. Your LFS didn't do anything wrong. Other than take away the amazing stress and annoyance that is setting up a new tank. The dust will one day just go away, but for now it's new tank crap you just have to deal with.

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dumped that sand into many tanks over the years. Never rinsed because you usually don't. Your LFS didn't do anything wrong. Other than take away the amazing stress and annoyance that is setting up a new tank. The dust will one day just go away, but for now it's new tank crap you just have to deal with.

:)

They definitely took the stress off for setting up a new tank...100%! I'm more mad at myself for just not doing my homework on this one. I could have been rinsing the sand while he was putting everything together.

Roadkillstewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As your tank cycle, establishes it's biofilm etc it won't be as bad...if it bothers you, I would avoid burrowing type livestock.. ie:; Jawfish, Pistol Shrimp, Engineer Gobies etc. for a long while, as they will create an initial 'dust' cloud...and you will invariable get up in the am to find 'dust' on things as they build/excavate (though to lesser degree than their initial forays)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

They definitely took the stress off for setting up a new tank...100%! I'm more mad at myself for just not doing my homework on this one. I could have been rinsing the sand while he was putting everything together.
Based upon the information so far I think you need to rinse the sand thoroughly before you go any further. It will take a little time but it will give you a chance to make your tank right for you.

I use a plastic dust pan to scoop up the sand in my tanks. Shut off the circulation and lower the tank water level a few inches before you start splashing around. Take the bucket to the lawn or the driveway and use the garden hose to remove all fines and keep at it until the sand is sparkly and the water is clear. I find that 4or 5 inches of sand in the bucket is easiest to work with and I collect the clean sand in a second or third bucket until everything has been washed clear.

I then siphon out the remaining dirt and dust from the bottom of the tank and throw that away before I put the clean sand back in.

Couple of hours of sand washing and then the tank should be ready to refill and start up the circulation again.

Then go back to the lfs and tell them that you want the biggest wrasse they have to test out the water and sand before you get any other fishes. You can trade it the wrasse once it’s proven that the tank is ready and that the baboon has passed.

I bet your house is dust free also, no need to compromise with the tank.

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LoL! I love the idea about the wrasse.. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Yes, I actually agree with you. I'm sure I can just continue doing what I"m doing...but honestly...why? I am in hurry to add the fish just yet and I honestly want to be able to get a blue spotted jawfish again sometime down the road. I've had one before and he was so fun to watch.

Ok...i'm on it! I'm going to start getting the sand out now and rinsing it. I think that's the best way to go.

Thank you all for the advice and comments!

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it the live sand or the dry sand?
The live stuff yeah, I've used without rinsing and it clears up by itself.

The dry stuff I bought recently and it does actually say to rinse it on the bag, and it was like milk when I started washing it. Don't know how long it'd take to clear up if it was added to the tank without rinsing.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i would recommend. Buy some filter socks, and siphon your sand thru them and directly back into the sump, no need for buckets or any new water. Simply hang the sock in your sump and vacuum it. being sure not to vacuum to much sand, the dust is lighter and should filter out before the sand. PM me if you have any questions.
I was going to say this too, but since it's been said thrice now, I'll leave it alone.

But this is what I would do.
Or nothing. I would also do nothing to solve the issue.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say this too, but since it's been said thrice now, I'll leave it alone.

But this is what I would do.
Or nothing. I would also do nothing to solve the issue.
It is one of those, eventually you stop noticing or caring type things... so nothing does indeed work as well. :)

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if some DIY coral snow would help transport the stuff to the filter :thinking-face:. Maybe stir the sand a little when adding it. I've added several days in a row, it's harmless. More info on it in the post below.

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it the live sand or the dry sand?
The live stuff yeah, I've used without rinsing and it clears up by itself.

The dry stuff I bought recently and it does actually say to rinse it on the bag, and it was like milk when I started washing it. Don't know how long it'd take to clear up if it was added to the tank without rinsing.

Yes, it's the dry stuff. I have been basting sand today and it's just non stop...it's everywhere. I just see this to be an issue every single time I do any type of cleaning or disturbing of the sand. Plus it's getting all over my equipment and I really like a 'clean' look. Call it OCD or whatever I just don't like seeing the 'dust' all over everything.

I guess I'm just disappointed that they took the shortcut and didn't bother to do things right. It would have taken me maybe an hour or two to do while he was setting everything up. :(.

Now I have to ask my husband to try and help me get the sand out. I really don't like to involve him as it's 'my thing'. I suppose I could do it myself but he really does make things much easier.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did get the turkey baster out today in fact...that helped a lot as there was so much dust on the rocks, etc.

Do you think it's ok to add fish still? Or should I continue to produce my dust clouds for a few more weeks.
Depends on your measurements - plenty of time the ocean has cloudy water

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, it's the dry stuff. I have been basting sand today and it's just non stop...it's everywhere. I just see this to be an issue every single time I do any type of cleaning or disturbing of the sand. Plus it's getting all over my equipment and I really like a 'clean' look. Call it OCD or whatever I just don't like seeing the 'dust' all over everything.

I guess I'm just disappointed that they took the shortcut and didn't bother to do things right. It would have taken me maybe an hour or two to do while he was setting everything up. :(.

Now I have to ask my husband to try and help me get the sand out. I really don't like to involve him as it's 'my thing'. I suppose I could do it myself but he really does make things much easier.
I would try a python - if you can get one. This is a good question - and I would try this

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW - I don't think your LFS did you wrong

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back