My LFS did me dirty...what would you do?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if you go to YouTube - you can make a powerhead polishing filter with a pop bottle

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's the dry stuff. I have been basting sand today and it's just non stop...it's everywhere. I just see this to be an issue every single time I do any type of cleaning or disturbing of the sand. Plus it's getting all over my equipment and I really like a 'clean' look. Call it OCD or whatever I just don't like seeing the 'dust' all over everything.

I guess I'm just disappointed that they took the shortcut and didn't bother to do things right. It would have taken me maybe an hour or two to do while he was setting everything up. :(.

Now I have to ask my husband to try and help me get the sand out. I really don't like to involve him as it's 'my thing'. I suppose I could do it myself but he really does make things much easier.
Lots of good ideas here. I would personally not remove the sand. That is quite the task. I would just stir up a couple of times a day for a week or so. It will definitely use up the current roll on your roller mat, but not a big deal. When you stir up the sand, I would bet that 60% of the dust just settles back down on/into the sand. So it may seem as what you are doing is futile. However after a week or so of stirring a few times per day you will notice a difference.

Do that for the next week then add some fish!!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, it's the dry stuff. I have been basting sand today and it's just non stop...it's everywhere. I just see this to be an issue every single time I do any type of cleaning or disturbing of the sand. Plus it's getting all over my equipment and I really like a 'clean' look. Call it OCD or whatever I just don't like seeing the 'dust' all over everything.

I guess I'm just disappointed that they took the shortcut and didn't bother to do things right. It would have taken me maybe an hour or two to do while he was setting everything up. :(.

Now I have to ask my husband to try and help me get the sand out. I really don't like to involve him as it's 'my thing'. I suppose I could do it myself but he really does make things much easier.
Stop basting. That's a drop in the bucket. Just keep stirring up the sand - water - (your pump should be doing this already if you have enough water moving through) -

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The last thing I would do is destroy my tank to rinse it lol.. gravel vac and filter sock as mentioned many times would be the ticket! Or filter floss in your sump baffles.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to the party, but that sand will settle down once it get coated in organics and stuff. The really fine stuff is also the first to dissolve back into calcium and carbonate if the tank needs it. It is not a big deal. Even if you remove it, the larger sand can dissolve and get smaller in time too... people just do not notice because the tank is more mature and the sand has organics in/on it.

Roadkillstewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LoL! I love the idea about the wrasse.. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Yes, I actually agree with you. I'm sure I can just continue doing what I"m doing...but honestly...why? I am in hurry to add the fish just yet and I honestly want to be able to get a blue spotted jawfish again sometime down the road. I've had one before and he was so fun to watch.

Ok...i'm on it! I'm going to start getting the sand out now and rinsing it. I think that's the best way to go.

Thank you all for the advice and comments!
In the case of wanting a jawfish at some point, go get you some coarser grades of aragonite, small shell fragments etc and add on top/mix around your rock base in general area you'd like em to burrow while your at it.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they make 100, 200 and I think 400. just wondering what would filter the super fine stuff rather than just the more coarse stuff.
There are 50's, 2s, and .5 as well. But I'd stick with what's available at a reasonable price. If you want finer, throw some filter floss in the sock too.

Mine were 200 when I bought them, which is a dubious measurement anyways as some holes are bigger, some smaller. They've been washed a few times, so now probably 250, but dirty can drop to 10. As it is their function to fill up the holes.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is take the roller mat offline, could take skimmer offline as well. Keep stirring the sand and let the fines settle out in the sump. Of water is ripping through the sump throttle down return pump. When display is clear ish siphon water out of display until return pump almost cavitates then turn off pump. Use a shop vac and clean out sump, replace lost salt water.
I run my sump that way, detritus settles out then clean it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back