My LFS did me dirty...what would you do?

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooooo.......

About a month ago I purchased a Red Sea Reefer Max 300 G2+ system from my lfs. (I have been out of the hobby for a few years). I"m still a beginner and I figured this setup would be the easier way for me to go, I've never had a sump before as my last setup was an AIO.

I realize now I have made some mistakes already (go read my thread build for more info) ......I'm trying to figure out the best way to solve the current and most pressing issue.

I paid to have them set up everything which was fantastic..however I didn't know what I didn't know. And now I know. I should have had them just set up the stand, equipment, plumbing, etc and left me with the responsibility of adding sand, aquascape, etc. That way I could have taken my time to do things right.

But no...I'm an idiot. I let him put the sand as well as the aquascape thinking they knew what was best. Well.......he didn't rinse the sand (special grade aragonite reef sand from caribsea). So of course it was super cloudy but by the next day it was looking pretty good so I didn't think it would be that bad. Well...every time I even think about touching the sand I get a massive dust cloud...it's like one of those haboobs we have here in Arizona. And of course my tank is cloudy and my reefmat goes crazy and uses a lot of inches. I've been kind of stirring up the sand every 5 or 6 days just to get the cloud going again so the mat can filter it all out as I REALLY don't want to take all the sand out and rinse it and I thought this would work and I'm in no hurry at all to put fish in there...still cycling, still reading and researching/learning.

But of course now I'm ready...the tank is cycled and I want to move forward. But the sand 'dust' is still kicking up a lot and then there is sand 'dust' everywhere..in my sump, all over my wavemakers, in my protein skimmer, etc.

What do I do?

Should I just bite the bullet and take all the sand out and give it a good rinsing and then put it all back in?

If so, do I have to recycle the tank and essentially start over?

What's the best way to get the sand out? Is there a best way? Ughghghhghghghghhg

I feel so stupid and frustrated that I didn't know better and slow this whole thing down.

Thanks for any advise!

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get the turkey baster out today in fact...that helped a lot as there was so much dust on the rocks, etc.

Do you think it's ok to add fish still? Or should I continue to produce my dust clouds for a few more weeks.

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the skimmer/filter roller are doing their job. just have to fiddle with it so you can lower the water level so it doesn't overflow back into your sump. the cloudiness will go away with time.
Oh yes, I've been keeping a close eye on it today as I really created a storm in there. The water level was definitely getting a bit high but the auto advance on the mat was working nicely and I have been advancing it myself manually just to be sure. Great tip, thank you!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I did get the turkey baster out today in fact...that helped a lot as there was so much dust on the rocks, etc.

Do you think it's ok to add fish still? Or should I continue to produce my dust clouds for a few more weeks.
if the dust really concerns you, i'd wait for it to be dealt with before adding fish. but going over your build thread it seems everything is in place to start adding livestock.

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use a siphon vacuum cleaner and pull up as much you can from the top? Turn your wave makers off let everything settle and siphon from the top only. May help things faster. I would not remove all the sand and rinse it at this point.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its important to know we have a sixty page thread on this matter.

it does not restart your cycle to pull/rinse/reinstall.

sand bacteria are not needed in reefing, they're tolerated, that's different than needed.

I don't know if your issue will clear in time. we show on page 1 lots who didnt, most do.

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the dust really concerns you, i'd wait for it to be dealt with before adding fish. but going over your build thread it seems everything is in place to start adding livestock.

Indeed...I think that's the part where I'm on the fence. I'm ready but of course will have some cloudy water now for some time anytime I mess with the substrate (cleaning, water changes, etc). I think I'll give it a few more days and really try to keep mixing it up to get rid of as much as I can.

I'm not in a hurry really but I'm excited to get something other than rock and bacteria in there lol.

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its important to know we have a sixty page thread on this matter.

it does not restart your cycle to pull/rinse/reinstall.

sand bacteria are not needed in reefing, they're tolerated, that's different than needed.

I don't know if your issue will clear in time. we show on page 1 lots who didnt, most do.
Awesome...reading this now. Thank you!

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use a siphon vacuum cleaner and pull up as much you can from the top? Turn your wave makers off let everything settle and siphon from the top only. May help things faster. I would not remove all the sand and rinse it at this point.
This is what i would recommend. Buy some filter socks, and siphon your sand thru them and directly back into the sump, no need for buckets or any new water. Simply hang the sock in your sump and vacuum it. being sure not to vacuum to much sand, the dust is lighter and should filter out before the sand. PM me if you have any questions.

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would gravel vac it. You could siphon into your sump with a filter sock at the end of your hose to catch the dust. You can pinch the hose to regulate the suction so the flow is strong enough to lift the substrate slightly, which should be enough to kick up and suck out the dust while leaving the substrate behind.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know to rinse when I set up my tank, and tried to do a major stir and siphon job to combat the dust, maybe 2 years after starting the tank. I mean, I really went at it.. took out all rocks, used a dowel right at the end of the siphon hose to stir the sand and the siphon sucked it up right away into a sock in the sump so I could go keep going. I really put in the time and effort and thought it took care of it.. Wrong! If I pick up a rock now it's like a smoke bomb went off.
My suggestion is to follow the rip and clean method brandon suggests now, before you start stocking the tank, and save yourself the headache and regret down the road.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond goby will clean it all up in no time… I’ve personally never rinsed my sand I normally put it in my tank and shove some filter floss between the baffles in my sump and keep stiring it up for a day or 2 and then it’s crystal clear.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the sand is fine, you could always just get a coarse sand and put over it and gently mix with your fingers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back