We're Moving! Tank is Coming! How's My Checklist?

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The info here is fantastic. One thing I wanted to clarify, we've talked about adding bottled bacteria after the move - for the reasoning, is it due to expected die-off of the current bacteria due to the moving circumstances, etc?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The info here is fantastic. One thing I wanted to clarify, we've talked about adding bottled bacteria after the move - for the reasoning, is it due to expected die-off of the current bacteria due to the moving circumstances, etc?

Do not add bottled bac. You don't need it.

You will be fine if you follow the protocols. The rocks have your cycling bacteria in abundance. Just keep everything wet and as much as possible at temp and you will be fine.

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jedi!

Last (maybe) thought for the thread, we have probably a half dozen nassarius snails roaming around the sand bed - I'd like to have them moved into buckets with the other live stock and rocks which will be the first to re-heat upon arrival, but unless I dig all around in there disturbing the bed after rocks are removed...

Maybe try to pluck them into a breeder box over the few days prior to the move at night, during feeding, etc whenever I catch em around? As long as they won't sneak out?!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jedi!

Last (maybe) thought for the thread, we have probably a half dozen nassarius snails roaming around the sand bed - I'd like to have them moved into buckets with the other live stock and rocks which will be the first to re-heat upon arrival, but unless I dig all around in there disturbing the bed after rocks are removed...

Maybe try to pluck them into a breeder box over the few days prior to the move at night, during feeding, etc whenever I catch em around? As long as they won't sneak out?!

Snails are incredibly resilient. I wouldn't even bother removing them. Just scoop them out with the sand into the buckets and they will be fine. When you rebuild the tank, they will find their way back to the surface.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I decided to remove ALL of the sand and use ~60 lbs new during setup? Assume I'd be dealing with cloudy water for a few days, anything else of concern with not cycling the sand bed? Should have plenty of crevices in the rocks to maintain bac however?
Keep some old sand to mix with new. All those critters will help seed the new sand. Just my suggestion

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jedi!

Feed them and pull them and put in a container with a lid in the tank. Something like a critter keeper partially buried in the sand

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - however earlier in the thread we were discussing leaving the sand in the tank for the move and as much water as possible, to minimize disruption. It would be easier to move with the wife if we did pull the sand, but what's the consensus on how much that would disturb and take longer to settle during start-up? If I pulled it, I would probably add back 80 of the 120 lbs that is in there, otherwise I would likely remove 50-60 lbs and nix it, leaving 60-70 in there. Which would slosh around pretty good on a 300 mile drive on Alaska roads..

Thinking it through more, it may still be pretttyy heavy with even 60 lbs sand and whatever water is included in the bed..

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back