We're spotlighting the BRS Kalkwasser Starter Package today! | BRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef!

We've got new higher quality BRS additives in-house and today we take a look at the latest BRS Kalkwasser Starter Package! This package includes three components to make adjustments to Alkalinity/Calcium/Magnesium along with a 2lb bag of Kalkwasser with about 300+ teaspoons.

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I don't know what you did to deserve it, but you have a trained sniper aiming a red dot laser directly at you head throughout this video.

Now, onto the topic, and keep reading for a brief discussion on human stupidity. I bought the kalkwasser starter kit about a year ago, and I used it a bit, but got off track and just went with RODI top off. My kit didn't come with instructions on the Magnesium part, so I was actually using small amounts added directly to my salt mix/RODI to get Mg up. I knew something was wrong with my method, as the recommended doses seemed way more than it should be. That's because the recommended amounts correlated to a solution mixed with water, but I was basing the same information on the actual crystallized Mg (in hindsight, I'm glad I at least recognized that something was off and didn't overdose my tank with Mg). So I stopped using the entire package and recently decided to try and go back. This placed me in a conundrum.

I have about 85% of the Mg mix left, maybe more. It's always been sealed, but it is now not the proper ratio for mixing it with 1 gallon of RODI. Any chance I can still use it? Any way I can mix it and test it's saturation point? I have Red Sea and Salifert test kits for Mg. Or do I have to buy the Mg additive again? Also, help restore what's left of my sanity, did you guys sell that around Christmas or is it a new addition? I was going to buy it then, but couldn't find it.

Thanks, and as always, great video.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I don't know what you did to deserve it, but you have a trained sniper aiming a red dot laser directly at you head throughout this video.
Now, onto the topic, and keep reading for a brief discussion on human stupidity. I bought the kalkwasser starter kit about a year ago, and I used it a bit, but got off track and just went with RODI top off. My kit didn't come with instructions on the Magnesium part, so I was actually using small amounts added directly to my salt mix/RODI to get Mg up. I knew something was wrong with my method, as the recommended doses seemed way more than it should be. That's because the recommended amounts correlated to a solution mixed with water, but I was basing the same information on the actual crystallized Mg (in hindsight, I'm glad I at least recognized that something was off and didn't overdose my tank with Mg). So I stopped using the entire package and recently decided to try and go back. This placed me in a conundrum.
I have about 85% of the Mg mix left, maybe more. It's always been sealed, but it is now not the proper ratio for mixing it with 1 gallon of RODI. Any chance I can still use it? Any way I can mix it and test it's saturation point? I have Red Sea and Salifert test kits for Mg. Or do I have to buy the Mg additive again? Also, help restore what's left of my sanity, did you guys sell that around Christmas or is it a new addition? I was going to buy it then, but couldn't find it.
Thanks, and as always, great video.

Ahhh, the trial and errors of reefing... :p I'm glad you figured it out before any issues!

Your remaining Magnesium mix is likely still good and personally I would probably use it myself, in the same situation. Our hobby grade test kits are pretty limited in reading higher resolutions, like those in concentrated mixes, so I wouldn't count on them to give you an accurate measurement.

Although our Reef Calculator may not be accurate with the concentration you'd get when you mix your 85% remaining mix into RODI water to make a full gallon, you could still use it to guesstimate how potent your solution is. If it were me, I'd make a gallon solution with what I had left; test my tank and run it through the BRS Reef Calculator; dose the recommended amount to reach my desired level; re-test in about 1/2hr or so and see just how far apart my solution is from the calculator. With that info you could somewhat accurately infer how much you'll need to dose of your less potent solution to have the same effect as a fully concentrated one. :)

-Randy

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 4 for adding Kalk to tanks, via doser. Really should be added to your kalk story, I use the Bubble Magus single dosing pump on my little tank and the BRS 50 ml pump on my big tank, ran on a schedule via Apex. Definitely more precise than ATO. Kalk is in a separate and smaller container than the ATO, so I don’t have to clean out the ATO and since these are smaller than ATO container, another protection against overdose. Dosing is the best option IMHO. ;)

Last edited:

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh, the trial and errors of reefing... [emoji14] I'm glad you figured it out before any issues!

Your remaining Magnesium mix is likely still good and personally I would probably use it myself, in the same situation. Our hobby grade test kits are pretty limited in reading higher resolutions, like those in concentrated mixes, so I wouldn't count on them to give you an accurate measurement.

Although our Reef Calculator may not be accurate with the concentration you'd get when you mix your 85% remaining mix into RODI water to make a full gallon, you could still use it to guesstimate how potent your solution is. If it were me, I'd make a gallon solution with what I had left; test my tank and run it through the BRS Reef Calculator; dose the recommended amount to reach my desired level; re-test in about 1/2hr or so and see just how far apart my solution is from the calculator. With that info you could somewhat accurately infer how much you'll need to dose of your less potent solution to have the same effect as a fully concentrated one. :)

-Randy
Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I'll give it a go.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 4 for adding Kalk to tanks, via doser. Really should be added to your kalk story, I use the Bubble Magus single dosing pump on my little tank and the BRS 50 ml pump on my big tank, ran on a schedule via Apex. Definitely more precise than ATO. Kalk is in a separate and smaller container than the ATO, so I don’t have to clean out the ATO and since these are smaller than ATO container, another protection against overdose. Dosing is the best option IMHO. ;)
I do the same thing!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back