Wet skimming and lower salinity

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've been here before.
After determining I've been over dosing NOPOX I have turned up the skimmer to wet skim and in doing so salinity is dropping as my ato tops up more frequently than my 2 part can compensate for.
So am I right to use salt water in the ATO?
I am removing more water than than tank is losing to evaporation.
How else can I keep salinity at 1.025. After a few day of wet skimming it was down to 1.024

Thanks for your thoughts

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After determining I've been over dosing NOPOX I have turned up the skimmer to wet skim and in doing so salinity is dropping as my ato tops up more frequently than my 2 part can compensate for.
How else can I keep salinity at 1.025. After a few day of wet skimming it was down to 1.024

Thanks for your thoughts
At that point it's just dirtier water changes, so yes, you would have to keep adding saltwater, either through ATO or manually. I'm not sure if your loss in salinity is constant enough to safely dose via ato, however, but you can at least slow it down.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is a reasonable plan. It may take a little bit more oversight on your part to add some salinity to your ATO, but part of the overall goal is stability.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may have to do a bit of experimenting to see if you need to use full saltwater or maybe a lower salinity blend.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for your thoughts

That’s a reasonable approach, yes.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have to do a bit of experimenting to see if you need to use full saltwater or maybe a lower salinity blend.

Whenever I’m low salinity I just add saltwater day by day until my salinity is back where I want it.
Effectively same as adding salt to ato. It keeps up with lost water but could go the other way in time.
Daily salinity check is now required until I get nutrients back under control.
I've dropped nopox dose from 8 to 1ml per day and slowly raising.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always wet skim down the drain so I have my apex set to shut down the skimmer if salinity drops as a safety measure.
If Salt < 35.0 Then OFF

My ato in turn has a small amount of salt added to help compensate for the wet skimming. Works very well for me. But my total system is over 600 running gallons.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wet skim down the drain so I have my apex set to shut down the skimmer if salinity drops as a safety measure.
If Salt < 35.0 Then OFF

My ato in turn has a small amount of salt added to help compensate for the wet skimming. Works very well for me. But my total system is over 600 running gallons.
I needs to keep an eye on salinity. Just got icp back 99% good whatwasnt is manageable.
Back to getting no3 below 20. Still trying to get nopox to work for me. Pretty much did little to nothing until I was 2x the recommended dose

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 46 82.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back