What’s eating my zoas

bradb90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
As the title says, looking for some advise on what may be eating my Zoas.
currently have 2 clown fish, a bi colour chromis, a neon velvet damsel, skunk cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, Astraea snails and various small hermits.

anyone have a clue.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems unlikely to be any of those, but if I had to guess I'd say the peppermint shrimp. Most peppermint shrimp are safe, but I've heard there can be another shrimp that commonly gets sold as a peppermint and can eat coral. Although every story I've heard the shrimp went after more fleshy lps corals not zoas.

OP
OP
bradb90

bradb90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was a small frag with only 3 Polys on it. I could take a pic but come home from work to literally nothing left on the frag. I have heard of the issue with the peppermint mix ups with camel shrimp but does look to be a peppermint, it also pretty much never leaves it little shelter.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was a small frag with only 3 Polys on it. I could take a pic but theres nothing left come home from work to nothing left of the frag. I have heard of the issue with the peppermint mix ups with camel shrimp but does look to be a peppermint, it also pretty much never leaves it little shelter.
You don't happen to have asterina stars do you, because they are know to sometimes eat zoas? Although I suspect if you knew the difference between camelback and peppermint shrimp you'd probably already know about asterina stars as well.

Also, it's not just the camelback that get confused with peppermint there are several other species.

OP
OP
bradb90

bradb90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't happen to have asterina stars do you, because they are know to sometimes eat zoas? Although I suspect if you knew the difference between camelback and peppermint shrimp you'd probably already know about asterina stars as well.

Also, it's not just the camelback that get confused with peppermint there are several other species.
I don’t have any no, at least none that ave seen. managed to spot and remove some on a coral before it went in.
not heard much on other species confused with peppermint yet so one to research for me. Though I will say my lfs is a very good shop and I would hope they knew the differences

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back