What’s going on with my Kenya tree?

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I had got this kenya tree and I put it close to the light at 1st but it never opened it’s polyps, so I put it in the mid section of the tank, now I have placed it on the sand bottom today and the polyps are still closed. Does anyone know why the polyps have been closed for two weeks I check my chemistry in the tank and everything is fine. Any one have any ideas?

The picture below was from a Sunday.

IMG_8621.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you mean the white coral? It looks sort of bleached. Can you post you water parameters, and type of lighting and flow? When did you get the coral? They can take a few days to acclimate sometime.

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the coral looks like today keep in mind that yellowing at the tips in this picture is not bleached when the blue light turns on that yellow gets green.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 62

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dkh in all my tanks had been that high and then it comes done on its own. I don’t think that’s the problem.
NSW is 7 dKh, and typically recommended range is 7-11. I say 8 because it allows dips to 7 rather than trying to hold 7 and dip to 6.

Salinity of NSW is also 1.026. Especially if this wasn't tank grown (which most farms try to stay close to NSW), that's a drastic change.

Alk and Salinity are the two most important parameters that need to be stable for coral.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you find out what's upsetting it, it will most likely recover. The only sure way of killing these things is to take them out of the tank, throw them on the floor and jump on them.

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I appreciate all the response no one is saying anything that sparks my interest as to what’s going on. Everything everyone is saying has never been a problem in my 20high aquarium. High Salinity and DKH have never been a problem in the past. Especially with the way I acclimate my live stock. Maybe this is just one of those things that worked for 1 body of water but not this body of water

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I appreciate all the response no one is saying anything that sparks my interest as to what’s going on. Everything everyone is saying has never been a problem in my 20high aquarium. High Salinity and DKH have never been a problem in the past. Especially with the way I acclimate my live stock. Maybe this is just one of those things that worked for 1 body of water but not this body of water
Leathers do shed but is that a colored one and what kind of light are you using I've legit let my tank go a full year without dosing or water changes and leathers thrived in it so I doubt it's anything to do with that

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers do shed but is that a colored one and what kind of light are you using I've legit let my tank go a full year without dosing or water changes and leathers thrived in it so I doubt it's anything to do with that
No, water is very clean. The type of light on the tank is a very small Nicrew light that gives off 50 par at 12inches. So I put it at the top of the tank in the meantime till I get a new light. Which is another Nicrew light that does 110 par at 24 inches which is perfect for softies. And intensity can be lowered or raised as well. That light be here this Friday. The 1st two pictures is the current light on the tank and the last 2 are the light that will be here Friday.

IMG_8721.png IMG_8720.png IMG_8719.png IMG_8722.png

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenyas are different, your is likely a sinularia if I go by the looks of it.
Are those greenish because this it what it looks like with a blue light on which I’ve never seen in a regular pink kenya. These are photos of when I 1st got it. IMG_8533.jpeg IMG_8534.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8532.mov
    14.7 MB
OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your salt is way high. Your temp is a bit hight too, as well as your alkalinity. Temp and salinity can be fixed easily and I'd stop dosing and all of you are dosing for alk
I never add chemicals to the tank I let the corals bring dkh down on their own as they have in the past for me. At least I think they are cuz it always comes down on its for me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back