What’s going on with my nems?

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I hope someone can find an answer for me because I don’t know what’s going on with my nems lately. Tanks been running for year and half now and I’ve had two RBTA for 3 months prior but lately they’ve been shriveled up and not full like they used to (see attached pictures for now and how they used to look)
Tank parameters are: temp 78, salinity 1.025, ph:8.2(consistent), Cal 440, alk 8.3, mag 1350, nitrate 2. I am using a kessil a360x running mostly blues on a schedule posted below. Nothing else has changed in the tank. I changed salts about a month ago and I have acro’s and euphyllia in the tank doing amazing and growing really fast. For some reason my other nem is been hiding under an arch and won’t come out much.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

image.jpg A55BC771-F52E-485B-A407-72B4A3C22A5D.jpeg 28BDC9FF-6B2F-430F-AE55-AA9F91BEFB69.jpeg 85D389CC-6753-411F-9AF1-F712B170D5AC.png 25DBB69A-3501-4159-8151-7C540E1A37EA.png

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what ur lights are doing, but usually when my btas are stretched out like that it's from not enough light or they're about to split.ive had times where 6 will stretch out for a week, then boom, they all split in a matter of 36 hrs. Then back to normal. Just my experience

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what ur lights are doing, but usually when my btas are stretched out like that it's from not enough light or they're about to split.ive had times where 6 will stretch out for a week, then boom, they all split in a matter of 36 hrs. Then back to normal. Just my experience
Just don’t understand why they shrinked up so much and also why would they be hiding from the light.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cant help, but i noticed something and draw conclusion that sometimes anemone dont need or like too much light....

I have one, looked similar to yours, and besides that, moved all of the time, around the rock, for abouth two month, then one day i noticed her floating in water. I pick her, set her on rock, about hour later - she detach herself again, and again, i noticed that her foot is not sticky as it should be, so i figured that she is goner.....

I put her in sump, on some rock, thinking that in a day or two ill have to throw her..... She positioned herself on rock beneath large ball of chaeto, fuge light is 10w 6500k....

So basicaly, she is in very low light, in a few days she streched her foot a bit, but otherwise fully open, colored..... Looks better than the rest of them in dt....

So i figured, maybe i was too heavy on light intensity, during few days i lowered light intensity, almost half, and now in display tank they looks much better, dont strech, dont move, opened and colored.

Maybe just a coincidence, maybe soon they will show signs of low light, but for now seems to me that sometimes they dont like intense light.....

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cant help, but i noticed something and draw conclusion that sometimes anemone dont need or like too much light....

I have one, looked similar to yours, and besides that, moved all of the time, around the rock, for abouth two month, then one day i noticed her floating in water. I pick her, set her on rock, about hour later - she detach herself again, and again, i noticed that her foot is not sticky as it should be, so i figured that she is goner.....

I put her in sump, on some rock, thinking that in a day or two ill have to throw her..... She positioned herself on rock beneath large ball of chaeto, fuge light is 10w 6500k....

So basicaly, she is in very low light, in a few days she streched her foot a bit, but otherwise fully open, colored..... Looks better than the rest of them in dt....

So i figured, maybe i was too heavy on light intensity, during few days i lowered light intensity, almost half, and now in display tank they looks much better, dont strech, dont move, opened and colored.

Maybe just a coincidence, maybe soon they will show signs of low light, but for now seems to me that sometimes they dont like intense light.....
It’s just very weird to me that this nems are acting like this. I have other ones in my other tank and they’re out of control how fast they’re growing

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, i have 6, and only this one behave in that way....

Before that, had 30-is in tank, not a single problem with them....

Until one day one of them decide to became a problem ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back