What’s going on with this guy?

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved this coral a few days ago into a similar water parameters tank, but brighter lights.

I dipped him in Coral RX before hand.

He hasn’t been happy since, so last night I turned the lights down from 35% to 20%.

Still no change.

Any thoughts on what’s going on?

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know they shed... Actually, I've been in and out of FOWLER for 30 years and have just recently tried my hand at corals.

The LFS store recommended the ones you see as easy to care for, but didn't bother to tell me their names... Or if she did, I don't remember.

If I learn the name of it, I can do a search and try to learn, without bothering you guys too much.

Ohh, BTW, I did check nitrate and phosphate last night. the previous tank has low levels of both, but this tank is showing zero on both with API. Could this be a concern?

It's a rather high flow tank... Innovative Marine Peninsula 20 with a mighty jet turned all the way up.

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so you don’t know what it is, that’s fine. Is it squishy/rubbery? Hard as a rock? Describe the color and how it looked at the store. We’re talking about the grey circular thing right? Could be a toadstool.

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so you don’t know what it is, that’s fine. Is it squishy/rubbery? Hard as a rock? Describe the color and how it looked at the store. We’re talking about the grey circular thing right? Could be a toadstool.
It's soft and squishy, and when it's happy, it stretches out branch like tentacles, with little polyps on the end.

Normally it's a light tan/brown in color.

The first night after the dip, it completely deflated, and I thought it wouldn't make it. The next day, it did stand back up, but it's a whole lot shorter than it used to be.... It's 'squatting' right now.

The tan color is still visible in the center top (mushroom), but the outward portions are turning green tint.

Could be that's a color reflecting off it from the light?

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's soft and squishy, and when it's happy, it stretches out branch like tentacles, with little polyps on the end.

Normally it's a light tan/brown in color.

The first night after the dip, it completely deflated, and I thought it wouldn't make it. The next day, it did stand back up, but it's a whole lot shorter than it used to be.... It's 'squatting' right now.

The tan color is still visible in the center top (mushroom), but the outward portions are turning green tint.

Could be that's a color reflecting off it from the light?
Look like the green guy in the front here?
BE931123-FCB9-4F53-B7CE-BDB51F06E480.jpeg

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole reason for moving them out of the first tank was because I bought a up and running tank that had fish and corals in it from the LFS. We bought more corals and put them in the tank, but left fish out of it for 10 weeks to rid the possibility of ick and velvet.

Now that's done and I need to eradicate the tank of coral eating parasites, so I put them in a bare bottom tank, for a month, to starve out the pests in the tank with the castle. I put a Aptasia eating filefish to take care of the aptasia infestation while I wait.

I just don't want to lose this thing, making these moves. It seemed really happy when it was in the 14 gallon.

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a toadstool, and most likely it should be green. Here are mine.
Toad stool.jpg
Toad Stool 2.jpg
That's it.... However this one was never green, even at the LFS... Mabye a different species, or do they change depending on environment.

Nonetheless, I'm getting out in the weeds here (I do that often, LOL).

Should I be worried, or do they have a habit of just being a bit surly when they get upset.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can change colors based on lighting for sure. I would not worry about it being green. It is a soft coral so they will shed. The process of shedding can take a couple day, or a couple weeks. It will close up and get almost a shiny film over it. Then after a little bit it will start to sluff off the film and open back up.

It could also be closed because it is mad. Mine was not getting enough flow and closed up for several months until I found it a happy place.

Diet Coke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ha
That's it.... However this one was never green, even at the LFS... Mabye a different species, or do they change depending on environment.

Nonetheless, I'm getting out in the weeds here (I do that often, LOL).

Should I be worried, or do they have a habit of just being a bit surly when they get upset.
They can change colors based on lighting for sure. I would not worry about it being green. It is a soft coral so they will shed. The process of shedding can take a couple day, or a couple weeks. It will close up and get almost a shiny film over it. Then after a little bit it will start to sluff off the film and open back up.

It could also be closed because it is mad. Mine was not getting enough flow and closed up for several months until I found it a happy place.
I have a very similar leather
They can change size and coloration depending on their mood
Moving him to a new tank may upset him for a few days
88BCFB18-C9E1-4D99-8DFB-4BACBE07AA4C.jpeg
88BCFB18-C9E1-4D99-8DFB-4BACBE07AA4C.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back