What’s going on with this torch?!

Isiah1820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed the stalk of my torch looking like this. Idk what’s going on it’s been looking good with full polyp extension and good color. As of now I have 4 other torches that look fine, but I took this one out and it’s in a bucket with iodine coral dip.
Edit. I did catch a emerald picking at it when I noticed how the skeleton looked.

IMG_2704.jpeg IMG_2703.jpeg IMG_2702.jpeg IMG_2706.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks to me like some of the internal structures of the skeleton have been expose, I imagine this occurred during the fragging process. Imagine the black line is where the coral was cut:

1693870829706.png

As long as the coral is looking happy and healthy otherwise I would just leave it be.

OP
OP
I

Isiah1820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skeleton didn’t look this way when I got it. And I’m noticing the hermits are picking at it now. Probably dead flesh.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it possible that the torch's flesh previously extended all the way down the stalk, hiding that portion, but has since receded? That sort of "damage" (the internal portions of the skeleton being exposed) is unlikely to have been caused by a hermit. Also, I don't necessarily think there would be flesh there to be eaten? The polyp looks to be intact, and looks to be doing well in the 4th photo.

I stand by that I think what your seeing was caused by the way the coral was fragged. I also stand by that if it is "acting" normal I would leave it alone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Isiah1820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I don’t think the hermits caused it, but they are picking at that area. They seem attracted to it, ill push them away with tongs and they make their way back. And yea the polyps are good and has a decent flesh ring.

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the fragging damage. I have done this myself to my torches in the past. Could be some dead flesh that the crabs are picking at but unless the actual flesh and polyps start to look off I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just keep an eye on it

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember that the base of the stalk is not living tissue generally so any number of things can be going on. This is at least my understanding of them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back