What’s going on with this torch?!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Isiah1820
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Isiah1820

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2020
Messages
355
Reaction score
98
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed the stalk of my torch looking like this. Idk what’s going on it’s been looking good with full polyp extension and good color. As of now I have 4 other torches that look fine, but I took this one out and it’s in a bucket with iodine coral dip.
Edit. I did catch a emerald picking at it when I noticed how the skeleton looked.

IMG_2704.jpeg IMG_2703.jpeg IMG_2702.jpeg IMG_2706.jpeg
 
Looks to me like some of the internal structures of the skeleton have been expose, I imagine this occurred during the fragging process. Imagine the black line is where the coral was cut:

1693870829706.png

As long as the coral is looking happy and healthy otherwise I would just leave it be.
 
The skeleton didn’t look this way when I got it. And I’m noticing the hermits are picking at it now. Probably dead flesh.
 
Is it possible that the torch's flesh previously extended all the way down the stalk, hiding that portion, but has since receded? That sort of "damage" (the internal portions of the skeleton being exposed) is unlikely to have been caused by a hermit. Also, I don't necessarily think there would be flesh there to be eaten? The polyp looks to be intact, and looks to be doing well in the 4th photo.

I stand by that I think what your seeing was caused by the way the coral was fragged. I also stand by that if it is "acting" normal I would leave it alone.
 
Last edited:
Yea I don’t think the hermits caused it, but they are picking at that area. They seem attracted to it, ill push them away with tongs and they make their way back. And yea the polyps are good and has a decent flesh ring.
 
I second the fragging damage. I have done this myself to my torches in the past. Could be some dead flesh that the crabs are picking at but unless the actual flesh and polyps start to look off I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just keep an eye on it
 
remember that the base of the stalk is not living tissue generally so any number of things can be going on. This is at least my understanding of them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new