What’s growing on my snails

Fins1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone ID these algaes and should I worry? Nothing on rocks yet just on snails. Thanks
9C4E82D7-069A-44FE-A84E-06002C7BE0CE.jpeg
B77C383B-54FD-4B8E-B8ED-D2AB083DE968.jpeg

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pictures are too blurry to tell, but it looks like the same thing that was on mine. Take them out and scrub with a toothbrush, hopefully it will come off easily. I just left mine alone and it disappeared. I think they cleaned each other.

dtrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! Ulva. I had it growing like crazy in my tank. Took some time but a good hungry diverse CUC got rid of it.
What did you use as a CUC to get rid of your ulva? My tank is 65g so too small for tangs/rabbit fish. I am looking for a tuxedo urchin now, but what else will eat it?

dtrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turbo snails. 2-3 urchins.
Thanks. I have been avoiding Mexican Turbo snails as I did not want a wrecking ball knocking over frags. Looks like I can add them now if I am going to have an urchin picking up frags anyway.

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75% of the snails in my Acro display tank have Troll Doll hair most of the time. I eventually get tired of it and brush it off them, then eventually it grows back.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have been avoiding Mexican Turbo snails as I did not want a wrecking ball knocking over frags. Looks like I can add them now if I am going to have an urchin picking up frags anyway.
If your corals are happy in their placement, mount them permanently. This is what I use. Be sure to turn off skimmer for a few hours. I do it the morning of my water change. I blast all of my rocks and turn up the flow really high and use a clean filter sock the day before. The morning of my water change, after the rocks are cleaned I mount the frags and turn off the skimmer. That evening I do the water change, usually up it to 20 - 30% and turn the skimmer back on.

dtrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your corals are happy in their placement, mount them permanently. This is what I use. Be sure to turn off skimmer for a few hours. I do it the morning of my water change. I blast all of my rocks and turn up the flow really high and use a clean filter sock the day before. The morning of my water change, after the rocks are cleaned I mount the frags and turn off the skimmer. That evening I do the water change, usually up it to 20 - 30% and turn the skimmer back on.
Most of my frags that are attached to my rock are mounted permanently with epoxy. I use Amazon product

I have loose frags with mushrooms, torches, zoas in my sand bed that would be my only worry.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 148 40.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 187 51.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 8.7%
Back