What’s happening to my coral? Help

Pellco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Don’t know what’s happening to my coral. It has this bubbly light brown stuff growing on it. Almost jelly like. What is it and what can I do to treat it. Thanks in advance.
PS - yes there are Aiptasia in picture. Have nudibranchs in tank. Haven’t gotten over there yet.

IMG_0438.jpeg

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, that appears to be purple stylophora which is SPS and you’re posting in the LPS forum, so you may not get the help you’re looking for here.

It’s hard to tell the brown stuff in the picture. What’s in the foreground seems to be happy, good polyp extension. The background has bleached, dead skeleton.

Without seeing it, brown bubbly stuff could be Dino’s or some form of cyano. If I’m tackling an unknown issue usually my first attempt is a 72 hour blackout. Corals will be fine and there’s some algae that can’t survive that long without light. Maybe give that a shot. If it’s cyano, chemiclean won’t hurt anything but it’ll kill the cyano.

Maybe give one or both of those a try, or post a better picture for a more specific diagnosis.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back