What’s in my cement?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay.. so I bought e-Marco 400 and long story short during shipment of 2 of the packages broke the pouch of the glue and I lost of it. I ended up getting another batch and all is good except now I have like 13lbs of cement and no bonding agent

I did some digging and found another reef website and people claim emarco 400 is just a combination of “Marco 400” mortar along with “acryl 60” which is a polymer that binds acrylic..

Anyways I did some more research and what I found seemed pretty similar that people mix acryl 60 at a ratio of 1 part to 3 parts water.. mix and then add to cement

which is the same instructions that e-Marco Lists!!

here’s what I found.. let me know if you think anything here is bad for the tank and if I can order the acryl and mix it with my mortar.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's it! Nice research job.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Marco Rock has done is to put the two ingredients into reasonable packaging sizes. Back in the day.....10 - 12 years ago....you had to buy a 25 + pound bag of hydraulic cement and I think a gallon of acrylic binder....and it was costly, especially if you only needed a couple pounds of cement and a squirt of Acryl. Marco started offering the two compounds in reasonable sizes.....and that's why for most applications, he's the one to go to. I haven't checked out Acryl 60 in years, but I've got to believe it's still readily available....and locally at your Masonry supply companies. (I know my local company, RIverside Supply, carried it) It is used in other concrete applications.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoro acryl 60 does not clearly state what is in it (even on the SDS), but acrylic polymers are not a concern.

"THORO ACRYL 60 is a special formulation of acrylic polymers and modifiers designed for use as an additive for cement mixes and other highly-alkaline building materials. "

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoro acryl 60 does not clearly state what is in it (even on the SDS), but acrylic polymers are not a concern.

"THORO ACRYL 60 is a special formulation of acrylic polymers and modifiers designed for use as an additive for cement mixes and other highly-alkaline building materials. "
Thank you!

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use these generic cement additives mixed with hydraulic cement and my rock has had zero issues and been structural for over 4 years.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use these generic cement additives mixed with hydraulic cement and my rock has had zero issues and been structural for over 4 years.
By additives do you mean the white mixture or the mortar itself

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By additives do you mean the white mixture or the mortar itself

I used a generic acryl 60 (from Menards) I mixed it as directed with water (4:1 or 3:1 I don’t recall) and then mixed that with hydraulic cement.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a generic acryl 60 (from Menards) I mixed it as directed with water (4:1 or 3:1 I don’t recall) and then mixed that with hydraulic cement.
Can you link some of your cement? Typical hydraulic cement from Home Depot?

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look safe to use as I have no Menards near me?

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be OK so long as it doesn't have mold/mildew inhibitors in it. It's not labeled as such, so those compounds probably aren't present.

However, do realize that you really must "cure" rock put together with any type of cement product, and that includes the Marco material. Curing should consist of placing the rock in circulating saltwater (preferably in the dark) for 4-6 weeks. The purpose of this is to ensure that all calcium oxide/hydroxide in the cement has been converted to calcium carbonate so that the alkalinity in your tank doesn't rise sharply. Another purpose for doing this with Marco rocks is that some of it has substantial calcium phosphate as a constituent of the limestone matrix of the rock itself. That doesn't hurt anything in the interior of the rock, but ideally you'd like to leach this phosphate off of the surface of the rock during the 4-6 weeks curing process.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be OK so long as it doesn't have mold/mildew inhibitors in it. It's not labeled as such, so those compounds probably aren't present.

However, do realize that you really must "cure" rock put together with any type of cement product, and that includes the Marco material. Curing should consist of placing the rock in circulating saltwater (preferably in the dark) for 4-6 weeks. The purpose of this is to ensure that all calcium oxide/hydroxide in the cement has been converted to calcium carbonate so that the alkalinity in your tank doesn't rise sharply. Another purpose for doing this with Marco rocks is that some of it has substantial calcium phosphate as a constituent of the limestone matrix of the rock itself. That doesn't hurt anything in the interior of the rock, but ideally you'd like to leach this phosphate off of the surface of the rock during the 4-6 weeks curing process.
I’maxthally using caribsea dry rock and it says it can be added to the tank with no big issues ( also read a lot of reviews)

the Marcocement also says it is safe to add directly to the tank with no leaching.. are you saying I should cure the rocks which I use the different acrylic 60 for?

I also cannot cute the rocks as they are all live and have been in my tank 3+ years:. lol

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used emarco cement to attach my rocks and I didn’t cure before putting back in the tank and had zero problems. The directions on emarco say it’s not necessary to cure and that you can put back into the tank as soon as an hour.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used emarco cement to attach my rocks and I didn’t cure before putting back in the tank and had zero problems. The directions on emarco say it’s not necessary to cure and that you can put back into the tank as soon as an hour.
Did you use it on live rock? The cement worked really well on dry rock once I stopped touching it lol.. tried to pick it up 2 days later and the rock broke before the glue!!

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All products like the Marco material are basically calcium oxide with perhaps a little sand added in to bolster the matrix shear strength. As such, some amount of dissolution of unconverted calcium oxide/hydroxide is possible. However, since you are using already-cured cement in the form of the CaribSea rock, and you're likely not using very much of the Marco product, the alkalinity contribution may be minimal. Nevertheless, since it's going into an already-established tank, it'd be wise to monitor the alkalinity of the tank water every couple of days, and cut back dosing as required. Whether or not you'll notice the difference is likely to depend on the amount of corals/coralline algae in the tank. If there's a lot of alkalinity consumption from the critters, you may not notice any contribution from the cement.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All products like the Marco material are basically calcium oxide with perhaps a little sand added in to bolster the matrix shear strength. As such, some amount of dissolution of unconverted calcium oxide/hydroxide is possible. However, since you are using already-cured cement in the form of the CaribSea rock, and you're likely not using very much of the Marco product, the alkalinity contribution may be minimal. Nevertheless, since it's going into an already-established tank, it'd be wise to monitor the alkalinity of the tank water every couple of days, and cut back dosing as required. Whether or not you'll notice the difference is likely to depend on the amount of corals/coralline algae in the tank. If there's a lot of alkalinity consumption from the critters, you may not notice any contribution from the cement.
Honestly maybe it will benefit my tank then.. I use regular instant ocean and don’t dose but want to increase my tanks alk (need to test to see where it is) but I always get coralline and then it dies then it comes back then it dies cause I do not stay on top of perimeters / barely water change..

currently have no fish just some corals and random inverts (snails and hermits)

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use it on live rock? The cement worked really well on dry rock once I stopped touching it lol.. tried to pick it up 2 days later and the rock broke before the glue!!

I did both. I cemented the main central rock structure in my tank early. I think I wet the rocks with RODI water, but they were brand new dead rock from Marco Rocks. It went into the tank the next day. The remainder of the pieces were cemented after they were wet and in the tank for a while. Both approaches worked fine. You can keep the live rock alive my pouring tank water over it occasionally or using a spray bottle with some tank water. That doesn't affect the emarco.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%

Back