OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that seems to be the same stuff based on SDS.
Thank you so much! Was going to grab some then got hesitant...

The product says to use 50% water 50% acrylic agent.

should I do that or do 1 ;4 like Marco suggests

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! Was going to grab some then got hesitant...

The product says to use 50% water 50% acrylic agent.

should I do that or do 1 ;4 like Marco suggests

I would error on less, but try to make some both ways (just make a cement monolith) and evaluate the properties, i would be worried more about mechanical properties than anything.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would error on less, but try to make some both ways (just make a cement monolith) and evaluate the properties, i would be worried more about mechanical properties than anything.
When you refer to mechanical, are you saying like the actual structural integrity of the rock work itself? Or something more along the lines of what is within the acryl solution?

I read someone online just used acryl and the mortar and didn’t dilute which caused him some issues.. also Marco recommends mixing I think 12oz of water to the 4 oz of liquid they send you.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you refer to mechanical, are you saying like the actual structural integrity of the rock work itself? Or something more along the lines of what is within the acryl solution?

I read someone online just used acryl and the mortar and didn’t dilute which caused him some issues.. also Marco recommends mixing I think 12oz of water to the 4 oz of liquid they send you.

Ive used the Marco cement also, their liquid is quite concentrated. I am not familiar with that homedepot product but it’s concentration might be different.
I was referring to it’s mechanical integrity of the cement, or the joint that ones make with the rock.

I’m would bet in addition to promoting adhesion of the cement to the rock it also acts like a toughening agent, making the cement less brittle. With toughening of materials there is always a happy balance and more isn’t always better.

ultimately I can’t tell you the optimal ratio since I haven't uses that specific one. I would refer to my previous post and experiment with combinations making frag discs in a muffin pan and seeing upon curing seeing the products mechanics properties via your hands.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just stumbled upon this thread...
Is it ok to use emarco cement directly in display?

I have my scape in place and have large and small pieces where I like it. To pull each out and cement out of water would be a pain and it would be difficult to put pieces on angles without all the other pieces together.

I'd like to use emarco cement just like epoxy on frag plugs. Stick epoxy on plug then press epoxy frag onto rock.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled upon this thread...
Is it ok to use emarco cement directly in display?

I have my scape in place and have large and small pieces where I like it. To pull each out and cement out of water would be a pain and it would be difficult to put pieces on angles without all the other pieces together.

I'd like to use emarco cement just like epoxy on frag plugs. Stick epoxy on plug then press epoxy frag onto rock.

Emarco sets in about an hour, but it does need to set out of water until it gets firm. If you can’t take all the rocks out, you can drain the water until the rock and joints are exposed. Otherwise, use epoxy that sets underwater.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Emarco sets in about an hour, but it does need to set out of water until it gets firm. If you can’t take all the rocks out, you can drain the water until the rock and joints are exposed. Otherwise, use epoxy that sets underwater.

Drain the water!!
Great idea!!

This is why I love forums, tyvm

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%

Back