What’s that spot on kole tang ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days after adding some shrimps and accidentally dropping water from the store in my tank, my yellow eye kole yang has this whitish spot on his right side. There are also white specs on him but they are bot raised like I am used to seeing with ich.

What are these spots and does he look like he has ich ?

Thank you !

1670794827775.jpeg

1670794867326.jpeg

1670794912222.jpeg

1670794973796.jpeg

Here is a video. He is expecting me to feed so he’s moving a lot (sorry about the typo in the title) :

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days after adding some shrimps and accidentally dropping water from the store in my tank, my yellow eye kole yang has this whitish spot on his right side. There are also white specs on him but they are bot raised like I am used to seeing with ich.

Thank you !

1670794827775.jpeg

1670794867326.jpeg

1670794912222.jpeg

1670794973796.jpeg

Here is a video. He is expecting me to feed so he’s moving a lot (sorry about the typo in the title) :

I don't see any ich here, so if there is, it is very early on. This looks like a superficial scrape to me, the fish is looking great in the video. I would just watch it for two things: new spots showing up, or this spot growing larger.

Jay

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was sold to me as ctenochaetus strigosus. Do you think that is wrong ?
Yeah, that's a truncated/Indian Ocean, C. truncatus. Not C. strigosus, standard kole. Although kole *can be kind of a broad term. It means "raw", for how it was eaten by Hawaiin natives.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was sold to me as ctenochaetus strigosus. Do you think that is wrong ?
Looks like a truncatus to me. With Hawaii shut down, I don't think there are any strigosus coming into the US trade.

Jay

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal it’s hard to see but can you see little speckles on the fins ? She had more yesterday but still some today. Could she be fighting something off ?

She is still eating fine (I am feeding more to help) although a little less enthusiastic this morning and doesn’t seem to be breathing fast.

I don’t see any speckles on any other fish.

1670966054228.jpeg

1670966137023.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal it’s hard to see but can you see little speckles on the fins ? She had more yesterday but still some today. Could she be fighting something off ?

She is still eating fine (I am feeding more to help) although a little less enthusiastic this morning and doesn’t seem to be breathing fast.

I don’t see any speckles on any other fish.

1670966054228.jpeg

1670966137023.jpeg
Tough to see - ich is difficult to diagnose from photos when it first starts up - the spots can be small, and they tend to come and go. I would just watch it for now….what options do you have for treatment if it does end up being ich?
Jay

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see - ich is difficult to diagnose from photos when it first starts up - the spots can be small, and they tend to come and go. I would just watch it for now….what options do you have for treatment if it does end up being ich?
Jay
Only General Cure, Melafix and Nox-Ich I think. Problem is with the holidays I’ll be away and can’t set up a hospital tank. I’m trying a protocol found on Humble fish that uses peroxyde and UV in the display tank. That’s my only hope.

Could it be velvet, as it looks more like dust that grains, like ich?

That’s a squaretail tang btw, not a yellow eye kole.
Yes, I just learned in this thread what it was. I had no idea there was two similar looking fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only General Cure, Melafix and Nox-Ich I think. Problem is with the holidays I’ll be away and can’t set up a hospital tank. I’m trying a protocol found on Humble fish that uses peroxyde and UV in the display tank. That’s my only hope.

Could it be velvet, as it looks more like dust that grains, like ich?

Yes, I just learned in this thread what it was. I had no idea there was two similar looking fish.

Unlikely to be velvet - the typical progression of that disease is rapid breathing, not eating and then death in a few days.

None of those meds are going to be helpful in treating ich.

I have a fundamental issue with hydrogen peroxide - the needed dose is based on a changing variable, the amount of unreacted organics in the tank. Each tank is different and the amount of unreacted organics changes while you are dosing. Therefore, the dose must change. There are low range peroxide test strips that help with that, but just dosing a set amount of peroxide is the same as running a set amount of ozone - it doesn’t work except by pure luck.

A strong UV running 24/7 and nightly siphoning of the sand to remove ich tomonts can work to help manage ich, but not in every case.

Jay

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal the tang no longer has visible speckles on its body, merely a few small white round sports on his pectoral fins.

He was eating well today (at both feedings) and seemed okay, although I didn‘t watch him as close because the speckles had gone.

Tonight, instead of sleeping in his cave as usual, he is staying at the top of the tank, agitating his fins but staying pretty still. His tail is higher up than his head. When I get close he quickly retreats to his cave but comes back right after I step away.

Could this be some type of swim bladder disease ? Is there any way to treat this in the tank ? I only have a few days before I go away for the holidays, so I can’t set up a tank for him as there will be nobody to take care of him. :-(

Thanks

#fishmedic

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Thank you !

1670794827775.jpeg

1670794867326.jpeg

1670794912222.jpeg

1670794973796.jpeg

Melafix is regarded as nothing more than atonic comprised of Teak tree oil
Agree on ich and follow with Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal the tang no longer has visible speckles on its body, merely a few small white round sports on his pectoral fins.

He was eating well today (at both feedings) and seemed okay, although I didn‘t watch him as close because the speckles had gone.

Tonight, instead of sleeping in his cave as usual, he is staying at the top of the tank, agitating his fins but staying pretty still. His tail is higher up than his head. When I get close he quickly retreats to his cave but comes back right after I step away.

Could this be some type of swim bladder disease ? Is there any way to treat this in the tank ? I only have a few days before I go away for the holidays, so I can’t set up a tank for him as there will be nobody to take care of him. :-(

Thanks

#fishmedic
Unlikely to be a swim bladder issue - not common in tangs, and the behavior doesn’t match… with swim bladder issues, the fish can either be positive or negatively buoyant. When it swims, it will struggle in one direction or the other.
That said, did you feed the tang dry food today? That can cause them to float for a time.
Is the tang breathing normally?
Jay

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely to be a swim bladder issue - not common in tangs, and the behavior doesn’t match… with swim bladder issues, the fish can either be positive or negatively buoyant. When it swims, it will struggle in one direction or the other.
That said, did you feed the tang dry food today? That can cause them to float for a time.
Is the tang breathing normally?
Jay
I only fed frozen today. I very rarely feed dry. Although I did throw some 1 mm pellets on the ground for the cuc yesterday, after the lights when out. Maybe he got some and ate it ? He’s a very eager eater. He never has enough.

I thought he was breathing a little faster but I’m not 100% sure as the lights were out and when I went back to check he was gone.

I checked for ammonia and there is close to zero. I increased water oxygenation, just in case, but I have lots of oxygen in the tank.

Thanks for your help.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 25 30.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back