What’s the best lighting?

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all I’m in the market for new lights for my 75 gallon tank. I have current USA lights right now and can only have lps and softies but I want to expand my corals to sps. I have a toadstool and a recordist mushroom right now. So my question is what is a good lighting for around $800.00 or less that will work for my tank?? I have been researching the kessil 360we tuna blues and I can get 2 lights, link cable, controller, and brackets for around $889.00 from amazon. But I would like opinions on this lighting and others that are affordable. So what do y’all think??

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon standard sard I believe you will need more than 2 360’s probably at least 3, 4 to remove shaded areas.

for Around $800 what i would probably do is either
-2 hyrdas 26/32 whatever the new ines are called lol

or a hybrid led/t5 in a combo that met your budget and needs.

To save some money could also look at https://noopsycheusa.store/products/noopsyche-k7-pro-ii-led-light-light-only

OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon standard sard I believe you will need more than 2 360’s probably at least 3, 4 to remove shaded areas.

for Around $800 what i would probably do is either
-2 hyrdas 26/32 whatever the new ines are called lol

or a hybrid led/t5 in a combo that met your budget and needs.

To save some money could also look at https://noopsycheusa.store/products/noopsyche-k7-pro-ii-led-light-light-only

Have you used this lighting and does it work as well as the other reef lighting?? I need a good lighting system for sps. I don’t know very much about the lighting systems

OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Noopysches should work and put you well under budget. Programming the lights - at least on the early models I have - is clunky. But they will grow SPS.

What do you mean by clunky because I’m not very technologically savvy lol

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used this lighting and does it work as well as the other reef lighting?? I need a good lighting system for sps. I don’t know very much about the lighting systems
I use AI’s on my tank.(i have the older models, last year they updated them, so aspects might be a little different.)
They grow sps for me just fine.
from a viewer, they are more of a purple, and blending is not as seemless as with kessil. Controllability, ai’s are hard to beat. Few taps and they are at the settings you want. Id not recommend changing constantly though lol.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by clunky because I’m not very technologically savvy lol
The Noopsyches I have can't be controlled by your computer or smart phone. There are some presets. It's a programming v. price trade off. But they should work fine for you.

OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use AI’s on my tank.(i have the older models, last year they updated them, so aspects might be a little different.)
They grow sps for me just fine.
from a viewer, they are more of a purple, and blending is not as seemless as with kessil. Controllability, ai’s are hard to beat. Few taps and they are at the settings you want. Id not recommend changing constantly though lol.

I’m a set it and forget it kind of gal lol. I just don’t want to buy lights and then find out that they won’t work for my tank. Thanks for your input it helped

OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Noopsyches I have can't be controlled by your computer or smart phone. There are some presets. It's a programming v. price trade off. But they should work fine for you.
Can you tell me if they have the sunset sunrise thing where they come on and go off at a set time?? Sorry don’t know what that’s called and my brain isn’t cooperating lol. Thanks for your help I appreciate it

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two A360s (WE or X) wont cut it for SPS on a 75g tank (know from experience). The two Kessils with some T5s will do it. You dont have to use the controller for the Kessils but they would be static on/off without it. It adds nothing beneficial to the corals but allows you to create a sun up/down profile if you want to see that. Otherwise, a simple wall timer would work just fine for lights on/off. This post covers the various Kessil and Kessil/T5 options I used (includes PAR values).

Cheapest route for LEDs would be a pair of black box style units (under $500).

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this comes off as snarky, that is not my intent but I can see how it may read that way.

::steps on soapbox::

First, the question of "what is the best lighting?" - as your thread title asks - is subjective to the end user. Many will argue that Radions are hands down the best thing out there, while others will argue for T5s, Metal Halides, different LEDs - or a combination of some/all. You can literally google "best reef tank lighting" and easily find dozens of thread full of arguments for what is "best". This can truly only be answered by you, as they all work. If you instead ask, "what kind of light would you recommend for my tank and goals?", you will get more direct advice & recommendations.

::gets off soapbox::

So now, let's move on to your question and set up.

I am one of those people who has tried many different lighting options. Based on your tank and what you want to do, I would recommend going LED as I feel they will achieve all of your goals with less work down the road (you did say you like to "set and forget"). I have used cheap black boxes (they do grow coral just fine), Current lights (like yours - one of my least favorite that I have tried), Noopsyche, AI Hydras, and Ecotech Radions.

Of these, I would go with either the Noopsyche (economical option) or the AI Hydras (my go to, best bang for your buck option). To cover your tank you will need two. The AI interface is a lost simpler, it's controlled from your phone making it easier to use. The Noopsyche uses a funky/clunky scroll wheel controller that is a little more difficult to initially figure out. Both lights allow for ramping up/down (sunrise/sunset), both lights get great color - the AIs are (objectively) nicer and easier to use.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I can hear all the Ecotech users screaming "but Radions are the 'best'", while I agree that Radions are a better light, I truly feel that you get a better value -ie quality product for the price- from the AI Hydras (and AI & Ecotech are under the same parent company). If money was no issue - go with the Radion XR30s but know that you will be spending $1,700+ by the time you buy the mounts verse <$1,000 for Hydras.

OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this comes off as snarky, that is not my intent but I can see how it may read that way.

::steps on soapbox::

First, the question of "what is the best lighting?" - as your thread title asks - is subjective to the end user. Many will argue that Radions are hands down the best thing out there, while others will argue for T5s, Metal Halides, different LEDs - or a combination of some/all. You can literally google "best reef tank lighting" and easily find dozens of thread full of arguments for what is "best". This can truly only be answered by you, as they all work. If you instead ask, "what kind of light would you recommend for my tank and goals?", you will get more direct advice & recommendations.

::gets off soapbox::

So now, let's move on to your question and set up.

I am one of those people who has tried many different lighting options. Based on your tank and what you want to do, I would recommend going LED as I feel they will achieve all of your goals with less work down the road (you did say you like to "set and forget"). I have used cheap black boxes (they do grow coral just fine), Current lights (like yours - one of my least favorite that I have tried), Noopsyche, AI Hydras, and Ecotech Radions.

Of these, I would go with either the Noopsyche (economical option) or the AI Hydras (my go to, best bang for your buck option). To cover your tank you will need two. The AI interface is a lost simpler, it's controlled from your phone making it easier to use. The Noopsyche uses a funky/clunky scroll wheel controller that is a little more difficult to initially figure out. Both lights allow for ramping up/down (sunrise/sunset), both lights get great color - the AIs are (objectively) nicer and easier to use.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I can hear all the Ecotech users screaming "but Radions are the 'best'", while I agree that Radions are a better light, I truly feel that you get a better value -ie quality product for the price- from the AI Hydras (and AI & Ecotech are under the same parent company). If money was no issue - go with the Radion XR30s but know that you will be spending $1,700+ by the time you buy the mounts verse <$1,000 for Hydras.

Yes this helps me make up my mind and I will probably go with the cheaper noopsyche lighting I can get these lights this month and I can start saving for some corals thank you

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me if they have the sunset sunrise thing where they come on and go off at a set time?? Sorry don’t know what that’s called and my brain isn’t cooperating lol. Thanks for your help I appreciate it
I think the best option is to discuss this with @dantimdad - He likely has some updates on these lights.

The District Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the Current USA lights too. I upgraded to the AI Hydra 26. Got a great deal on them brand new when they were just releasing the new model. You'll find out very quickly that it's way more powerful than the Current LED's. I've got 2 over a 40 breeder. I'm not getting as much pop as I'd like from my acros and i do have some areas that are shaded, so I'll be adding some T-5's to go along with the LEDs. From everything I've read, the T5/LED hybrid is the best way to go.

By the way, don't forget to take into account how you're going to mount the lights, which is an extra cost to consider.

gm5150

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe "not the best" but for the price and the PAR > ViparSpectra 160W Aqua Light System.
You can buy two of them for under $250 and those will cover your 75 gallon just fine.

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd consider a pair of noopsyche LEDs paired to their T5 hybrid fixture. That will give you plenty of power and will be under budget.

This comes from a guy running radions and primeHDs on two separate tanks. Don't get me wrong, their controllability and build quality is hard to beat, but they dont have the spread and coverage of a T5/LED hybrid and noopsyches products look solid for the price

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.1%
Back