What’s the go with Mimic Tangs??

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m researching mimic tangs and trying to figure out what the adult colours are for the three (?) different species.

A. Pyroferus (Herold or Lemon juv.)
A. Chronix (Half black juv.)
A. Tristis (Eibli Juv.)

There seems to be confusion in regards to whether or not they are different species or one species with varying colour forms. I’ve bracketed the dwarf angels that each species mimics based on information I’ve been able to find but I can’t seem to find any solid info/pics tracking their colour change into adulthood for each one.

Do they all turn chocolate in colour or are the adults for each species unique?

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as in aware acanthurus tristis, turns like a silvery, darkish grey rather than chocolate according to kuiters book on surgeonfish that i was reading, not sure about the other 2 though.
711659178.jpg

(Not my photo, but A. tristis)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishbase has adult photos of 2 of the 3. I think there is some ambiguity and misidentification when it comes to A. chronixis.
Yeah I think you are correct, this is the one that throws me a bit because I can’t seem to find pics on the adult that I’m confident in the identity.

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as in aware acanthurus tristis, turns like a silvery, darkish grey rather than chocolate according to kuiters book on surgeonfish that i was reading, not sure about the other 2 though.
711659178.jpg

(Not my photo, but A. tristis)

Awesome, at least that is a source I would trust!

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has chocolate tangs on their website labelled as A. Chronix but I’m wandering how accurate that is.
I’d love a genuine A. Chronix as the juvenile is beautiful but wandering what the adult looks like. The pic in the link above looks darker than the A. Pyferus do during transition they are more yellow, so could be legit.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an A. Pyroferus , here he is in change. I gave him away because he ended up being a bit wimpy for his tank mates. Here's the best pic I could find of an adult A. Pyroferus, Chocolate Tang. Pics really don't do these guys justice, but for some reason adults are very difficult.

005.jpg

1591747456927.png

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I would love to find one of those for purchase. Beautiful! Thanks for posting!

As juvis they will be listed as a mimic lemon peel tang, a yellow mimic tang, or even as a lemon tang. I got him as a yellow mimic tang, which mimics the heraldi angel. The lemon peel mimic is self evident, The lemon tang is the same as the yellow mimic.

The bottom pic is a male, as you can see the streamers on the tail.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back