What’s the going rate for live rock anymore?

Thalasstronaut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am slowly but surely building up my first reef tank. At the dry tank on a stand, full of rock stage.

My intention was to build the majority of my scape with dry rock and supplement with some live pieces from nearby stores. I was asking around at one of the closer LFSes and the guy there said they sold their live rock for $9 a pound, which kind of surprised me. He pointed to their live rock tank, which seemed to be a potpourri of different rocks and compositions. I asked if it was “live” in that it was from the ocean or just dry rock that was seeded at the store. He said most of it was from people bringing in tanks they were breaking down and if they ever ran out of that, they had rock they seeded themselves.

I knew getting into reefing I’d have to belay my sense of sticker shock, but that does seem kind of egregious, no? I’m also concerned about how good of a practice is just taking rock from anyone’s tank and throwing it all together willy nilly. Am I off base and that’s a normal thing to expect?

There aren’t much for LFS in the area, just two less than stellar offerings. I can drive an hour and a half in a few different directions and hit a couple more, which I’m willing to do. I just want to know if I’m right to have my antenna up after that experience.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$9 per pound isn’t too odd these days. I’d recommend you try to find a local hobbyist with a mature tank who is willing to part with some for less, or just cut to the chase and order real ocean live rock. I’ve done both of these myself with my current systems, after I made what I believe is a mistake in starting with ONLY dry rock and liquid bacteria.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The value doesn’t seem all that off.

For this type of rock:

Pros: No shipping costs, you get to pick your pieces/style, no die off due to short time from tank to tank.

Cons: Lower level of biodiversity vs direct from ocean live rock, may have absorbed phosphate, etc, from previous tank owners.

If you’re using this for seeding rather than as part of the display then one thing you can do is grab a few scoops of rubble (these tanks normally have this) - from a bacteria and micro-critter perspective this will have pretty much everything the larger pieces do. This small quantity of rock will also help offset potential for leaching.

A lot of the biodiversity you lose vs ocean live rock is also stuff that doesn’t do well in tanks anyway so long term you’re not losing *that* much here.

A very economical way to supplement the micro biodiversity is via clean up crew. Snails, hermits, etc will all bring in bacteria, pods, worms, and so on.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are anywhere near a big city, you can usually find breakdowns selling rock for buck or two a pound, or giving it away. It might need cooked for a few months to get the po4 out and stuff. You can then get 20-30 pounds from Florida somewhere to jumpstart it again.

OP
OP
Thalasstronaut

Thalasstronaut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The value doesn’t seem all that off.

For this type of rock:

Pros: No shipping costs, you get to pick your pieces/style, no die off due to short time from tank to tank.

Cons: Lower level of biodiversity vs direct from ocean live rock, may have absorbed phosphate, etc, from previous tank owners.

If you’re using this for seeding rather than as part of the display then one thing you can do is grab a few scoops of rubble (these tanks normally have this) - from a bacteria and micro-critter perspective this will have pretty much everything the larger pieces do. This small quantity of rock will also help offset potential for leaching.

A lot of the biodiversity you lose vs ocean live rock is also stuff that doesn’t do well in tanks anyway so long term you’re not losing *that* much here.

A very economical way to supplement the micro biodiversity is via clean up crew. Snails, hermits, etc will all bring in bacteria, pods, worms, and so on.
Thank you for the reply. If all I’m looking for is seeding would just going for CUC be adequate? Or would they suffer from not having anything to eat in a new tank?

OP
OP
Thalasstronaut

Thalasstronaut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are anywhere near a big city, you can usually find breakdowns selling rock for buck or two a pound, or giving it away. It might need cooked for a few months to get the po4 out and stuff. You can then get 20-30 pounds from Florida somewhere to jumpstart it again.
I’m unfortunately not even near a small city. Nearest city of any repute is about 3 hours one way. I’m not opposed to pulling that trip off, just need a good reason to.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure that Boston, NYC or even Montreal could get you some rock if you look and wait for a bit, but New England is a large place. :) Check the CL, FB marketplace and local fish boards.

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d suggest looking up the Boston Reefers Society.

They are fairly geographically diverse across New England and there might be a member close by who could help you out.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @jda looking for tank tear downs and rock purchase is wise. The hobby has a high turn over rate so maybe you can find something. Just be aware that it may have its own baggage.

TBS has treasure chest boxes that will ship via UPS to your door vs their larger options which go to the air freight terminal. KP also offers both. I've ordered 25 lbs of KP and happy with it. Next will be TBS. Personal opinion but LFS rock won't compare to oceanic rock from TBS or KP.

Could also go old school and buy dry and cycle it in parallel. Wait 6 months or so and it will be live assuming you maintain salt, temp, chems, etc.

Do a search on KP Aquatics and TBS for oceanic rock examples and what they bring.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I'd avoid live rock from an LFS. They tend to harbor all the pests and little of the neat things ocean live rock has.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ff
As @jda looking for tank tear downs and rock purchase is wise. The hobby has a high turn over rate so maybe you can find something. Just be aware that it may have its own baggage.

TBS has treasure chest boxes that will ship via UPS to your door vs their larger options which go to the air freight terminal. KP also offers both. I've ordered 25 lbs of KP and happy with it. Next will be TBS. Personal opinion but LFS rock won't compare to oceanic rock from TBS or KP.

Could also go old school and buy dry and cycle it in parallel. Wait 6 months or so and it will be live assuming you maintain salt, temp, chems, etc.

Do a search on KP Aquatics and TBS for oceanic rock examples and what they bring.

It doesn't take 6 months to cycle dry rock. It takes about a week with bottled bacteria.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m waiting on a 17lb nano package from gulf live rock. It costs $124 shipped, which is a hair over $7.25/lb.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used live rock from the 3 main sellers that I’ve found . Gulf Live Rock, KP Aquatics and Tampa Bay Saltwater.
GLR: Pros: lots of extra hitchhikers in the form of corals and other desirables.
Cons:seems to have a fair chance of getting aiptasia and other less desirable. My last batch I got a few aiptasia and a Mantis Shrimp(My intent is to eventually capture and place in a 22 gallon for its own tank). Desirables included a couple Rose corals and a few colorful orange sponges .
‘Verdict is will definitely buy again.
KP: it’s nice rock but nothing super spectacular . Have gotten some nice extras like mithrax crabs, pistol shrimp and brittle stars.
Verdict: middle of the road safe to use rock that rarely has undesirable stuff
TBS: lots of good things with TBS rock. I’ve gotten 2 nano sized orders from them. My last batch had a gazillion feather duster worms.
Verdict: my got to for small add on LR purchases.
‘Bottom line is I always use live rock. My last nano build, the 22, had half live and half dry. My 90 is all live from the start.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It doesn't take 6 months to cycle dry rock. It takes about a week with bottled bacteria.
It takes a week to get to "this tank will support fish". Takes a lot longer than a week to get the rock anywhere near actually mature, and requires the addition of sources of biodiversity.

Oldguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure that Boston, NYC or even Montreal could get you some rock if you look and wait for a bit, but New England is a large place. :) Check the CL, FB marketplace and local fish boards.
In similar boat...2 hours to any real, decent lfs, so I bite the bullet, take the drive, and pay...only a 20g anyhow...Spending is the norm in this hobby.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back