What’s the minimum QT tank size for Tangs?

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New list:

1 Zebra Moray Eel.
2 Green Mandarin Dragonets.
15 Ocellaris Clownfish.
2 Yellowhead Jawfish.
2 Neon Blue Gobies.
1 Yellow Watchman Goby.
1 Madagascar Spotted Croucher Goby.
1 Lineatus Fairy Wrasse.
1 Yellow Tang.
1 Regal Tang.
1 Sailfin Tang.
2 Blue Tuxedo Urchins.
2 Pajama Cardinalfish.
25 Banded Trochus Snails.
25 Nassarius Snails.
3 Long Tentacle Anenomes.

Last edited:

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Zebra Moray Eel.
15 Ocellaris Clownfish. (-5 from original)
(- gramma from original)
2 Yellowhead Jawfish. (-2 from original)
2 Neon Blue Gobies.
1 Yellow Watchman Goby. (-1 from original)
1 Madagascar Spotted Croucher Goby. (-1 from original)
1 Lineatus Fairy Wrasse.
1 Yellow Tang.
1 Regal Tang.
1 Sailfin Tang.
2 Blue Tuxedo Urchins. (-1 from original)
2 Pajama Cardinalfish. (-3 from original)
25 Nassarius Snails.
3 Long Tentacle Anenomes. (-1 from original)

Sorry for the copy-paste, there's still so many fish that I couldn't figure out what you had gotten rid of and what you had kept.

I think tang-wise you're fine. Fish-wise, for any fish kept in multiples, I'd put in the effort to find a male/female pair to reduce aggression between fish (could be buying an established one, or making one from a group of 6). I still can't tell if that's a lot of fish or not (I'm limited to a 55 at the moment)

I also want to point out that, forum-wise, dragonets don't go with anemones or large LPS, they have a tendency to get eaten. Also, and you probably know this, but it bears saying, a 20L will be a better fuge than a 20H, since there's more surface area for macros/pods to grow in.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never planned out a fish stocking list, but know which certain fish for sure I will have, probably why I always end up with an odd mix of fish. If your dead set on your list I wish you luck and happy fish.

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why 15-20 clowns? That’s just quite a lot. Also, I am not an expert but isn’t the eel a risk for some of the fish (I was thinking mandarins)? Clowns are pretty dirty and that just seems like a lot unless it is a clown harem tank only.

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Zebra Moray Eel.
15 Ocellaris Clownfish. (-5 from original)
(- gramma from original)
2 Yellowhead Jawfish. (-2 from original)
2 Neon Blue Gobies.
1 Yellow Watchman Goby. (-1 from original)
1 Madagascar Spotted Croucher Goby. (-1 from original)
1 Lineatus Fairy Wrasse.
1 Yellow Tang.
1 Regal Tang.
1 Sailfin Tang.
2 Blue Tuxedo Urchins. (-1 from original)
2 Pajama Cardinalfish. (-3 from original)
25 Nassarius Snails.
3 Long Tentacle Anenomes. (-1 from original)

Sorry for the copy-paste, there's still so many fish that I couldn't figure out what you had gotten rid of and what you had kept.

I think tang-wise you're fine. Fish-wise, for any fish kept in multiples, I'd put in the effort to find a male/female pair to reduce aggression between fish (could be buying an established one, or making one from a group of 6). I still can't tell if that's a lot of fish or not (I'm limited to a 55 at the moment)

I also want to point out that, forum-wise, dragonets don't go with anemones or large LPS, they have a tendency to get eaten. Also, and you probably know this, but it bears saying, a 20L will be a better fuge than a 20H, since there's more surface area for macros/pods to grow in.
The 20 gallon fuge will actually be the leftover part of my 55 gallon sump so I don’t know the precise dimensions yet. Ofc male/female pairs. I really want a clownfish harem/anenome tank but I also really want a mandarin dragonet, I’ll have to think about that.

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why 15-20 clowns? That’s just quite a lot. Also, I am not an expert but isn’t the eel a risk for some of the fish (I was thinking mandarins)? Clowns are pretty dirty and that just seems like a lot unless it is a clown harem tank only.
Zebra Moray is quite docile unlike the Snowflake Moray. And I’ll removing the Mandarin cos of the nems anyway. It is a clownfish harem mainly, it’s just I included a lot of other fish that I like cos if I have to spend the money on a 125, I don’t want a clown and nem only tank.

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those both get pretty large for a 125. Could I talk you into a kole and a foxface instead?
I’ll remove the Sailfin, but my family really wants a “dory” so I don’t really have a choice. Would a 150 be good?

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is that regals get 12"+- the width of the tank is only 18" so moving around will be tricky at best without even getting into how akward swimming in general would be in this situation. I'd recommend looking at a store with tanks setup as a display to buy etc and picture something dinner plate sized swimming in there. If that's not realistic just have a plan on someone to take the fish when they get large. Btw purples get to about 10".

Your long tentacles anemones will get 10-12" (each) as well and nems will generally sting any fish that arnt clownfish if they bump into them. A tank full of nems and clownfish can be very cool but there's reasons why these tanks usually only have clownfish. While three nems won't fill a 125 or 150 they greatly reduce the swimming room for other fish.

It seems like your trying to go in too many different directions with this tank, I understand there are tons of cool fish out there but I'd recommend searching around for others experiences in how they interact before spending a small fortune just to have fish turn into nem food. For example "zebra moray in clown fish harem tank" also keep in mind that this eel can reach 5' and is prone to bumping into things, I have no experience but would think there's a potential for issues with all the nems around.
I'd do similar for all those gobies and jaw fish, they and the eel are sand/lower dwelling and the lta are sand dwelling nems and I could see potential territory issues with the various fish, nems and clowns attempting to claim the same area.

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is that regals get 12"+- the width of the tank is only 18" so moving around will be tricky at best without even getting into how akward swimming in general would be in this situation. I'd recommend looking at a store with tanks setup as a display to buy etc and picture something dinner plate sized swimming in there. If that's not realistic just have a plan on someone to take the fish when they get large. Btw purples get to about 10".

Your long tentacles anemones will get 10-12" (each) as well and nems will generally sting any fish that arnt clownfish if they bump into them. A tank full of nems and clownfish can be very cool but there's reasons why these tanks usually only have clownfish. While three nems won't fill a 125 or 150 they greatly reduce the swimming room for other fish.

It seems like your trying to go in too many different directions with this tank, I understand there are tons of cool fish out there but I'd recommend searching around for others experiences in how they interact before spending a small fortune just to have fish turn into nem food. For example "zebra moray in clown fish harem tank" also keep in mind that this eel can reach 5' and is prone to bumping into things, I have no experience but would think there's a potential for issues with all the nems around.
I'd do similar for all those gobies and jaw fish, they and the eel are sand/lower dwelling and the lta are sand dwelling nems and I could see potential territory issues with the various fish, nems and clowns attempting to claim the same area.
That’s why I’ve decided to forgo the harem and just get a pair of clowns and one LTA. I’m DIYing the tank so if you could suggest better dimensions that would weigh about the same that would be great.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I’ve decided to forgo the harem and just get a pair of clowns and one LTA. I’m DIYing the tank so if you could suggest better dimensions that would weigh about the same that would be great.
Awesome!! Sorry I guess I missed that, I'd honestly go as large as space allows if your housing all those tangs. My friend just got a 350ish for a similar stock list and it's really sweet looking. What's the space look like dimension wise? There's also ways to squeeze extra space when you don't think you can if you get creative, I built my main dt to wrap around a corner of the house on two different walls for example.

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! Sorry I guess I missed that, I'd honestly go as large as space allows if your housing all those tangs. My friend just got a 350ish for a similar stock list and it's really sweet looking. What's the space look like dimension wise? There's also ways to squeeze extra space when you don't think you can if you get creative, I built my main dt to wrap around a corner of the house on two different walls for example.
I’m not that concerned about space or price, what I’m concerned about is weight. I live in a 28th floor apartment so a 125 is already pushing it.

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also about the gobies, I was under the impression that there wouldn’t be territory issues with the gobies, since MSCGs spend their time crouching on SPS corals, hence the name, also they are small scorps not gobies so there’s that, NBGs spend their time out in the open or in the rockwork, and YWGs spend their time in the sand or in their burrows. Those are all separate places. And all of these are commonly kept in Nano aquariums so there should be no issues with territory. Correct me if I’m wrong tho.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered going acrylic? That would dramatically cut the weight. I'd also check with the building management what the largest tank allowed is.. sometimes there's a limit due to liability etc if it ever leaks bc someone lives below you. I'd go as large as they allow. The main thing I was thinking was having all those lta with rock/sand dwelling fish they'd be bumping around and potentially get stung but if your not doing that just disregard it. I think most people are ok with jaw fish and ywg but never had those. My oyster crest gobies are super aggressive I definitely wouldn't try to put another fish in their territory which is the entire bottom of the 155 but their not ywg just similar cave dwelling gobies.. they barely tolerate the Mandarin and it mainly lives on the rocks. Neon blues should be fine, as cleaners most things ignore them. Mscg will live in sps if you have them, they will clear out a few branches each week to make their nest if memory suits me so you may not want to auctually keep them with sps coral. Without coral they will hop around the rocks etc. This is where I was thinking issues with nems and clowns.

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered going acrylic? That would dramatically cut the weight. I'd also check with the building management what the largest tank allowed is.. sometimes there's a limit due to liability etc if it ever leaks bc someone lives below you. I'd go as large as they allow. The main thing I was thinking was having all those lta with rock/sand dwelling fish they'd be bumping around and potentially get stung but if your not doing that just disregard it. I think most people are ok with jaw fish and ywg but never had those. My oyster crest gobies are super aggressive I definitely wouldn't try to put another fish in their territory which is the entire bottom of the 155 but their not ywg just similar cave dwelling gobies.. they barely tolerate the Mandarin and it mainly lives on the rocks. Neon blues should be fine, as cleaners most things ignore them. Mscg will live in sps if you have them, they will clear out a few branches each week to make their nest if memory suits me so you may not want to auctually keep them with sps coral. Without coral they will hop around the rocks etc. This is where I was thinking issues with nems and clowns.
I will consider going acrylic thanks, and I will check with the building management. I don’t think that the MSCGs will do much harm in a big tank. Also here’s the new list:

1 Zebra Moray Eel.
1 Green Mandarin.
7 Ignitus Anthias.
2 Ocellaris Clownfish.
1 Royal Gramma.
2 Yellowhead Jawfish.
2 Neon Blue Gobies.
2 Yellow Watchman Gobies.
2 Madagascar Spotted Croucher Gobies.
1 Lineatus Fairy Wrasse.
1 Regal Tang.
1 Yellow Tang.
1 Purple Tang.
1 One Spot Foxface.

I’ve decided to try Anthias cos I really want a school of fish and Chromis or Cardinalfish seem to be kinda aggressive. Ofc I’ve researched the feeding requirements, gender ratios and most peaceful species. As for the foxface, I’ve gotten mixed info on whether they can be kept in this tank so your advice would be great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back