Where to order quarantine yellow tang?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now seems like a good time for me to order a new fish/yellow tang for my tank. I am removing my flame angel because he has been nipping at corals and want to replace him with a yellow tang.

I have always had my fish quarantined by a friend from my LFS but they are no longer doing that. I don't have the time to be quarantining fish so my next option is to find a place online that qt fish. Do these online qt stores really qt their fish? What place would you recommend ordering from?

I looked into Ocean Devotion and apparently they qt fish for 30 days in copper.

Thanks

- Parker

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you order straight from the breeder, it will theoretically not need quarantine as it’s never been in the ocean where it could be exposed to disease.
So you think it is best to order straight from biota?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think it is best to order straight from biota?
You’ll get fish you can be sure wasn’t caught using cyanide, hasn’t been stressed by multiple journeys around the world, and you know has been raised on prepared food so should adapt easy to tank feeding, and that should be disease free.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your getting from biota just have a smaller tank to keep them in so it dosen't get lost til its big enough to go in reef tank.
I have an acclimation box that I could put it in. So they arrive small.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a yellow tang from Dr Reef. You can see their quarantine protocol on their website. Granted you would probably be safe ordering direct from Biota. It just happened to be part of a much larger order for me.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a yellow tang from Dr Reef. You can see their quarantine protocol on their website. Granted you would probably be safe ordering direct from Biota. It just happened to be part of a much larger order for me.
Ok so it sounds like it is best to order straight from biota. Only reason I am
reluctant on doing that is because I have seen other post about people buying a yellow tang from biota and it has some type of disease.

If it was to go through a 30 day copper treatment it feel like safer adding a fish to my tank.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred would seem the easiest path because I'm not sure any out there can fully guarantee all possible ailments were solved while in their care. Not saying they don't. Just no way of actually knowing.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered mine from Dr Reef , came eating great, healthy … couldn’t be happier with this company! They have your back on everything, at least In my experience
I think I might order from them. I have heard multiple posts about people being happy with the fish they got.

Thanks

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might order from them. I have heard multiple posts about people being happy with the fish they got.

Thanks

I've ordered over $3000 worth of fish from them over several orders and have always been really happy. This includes several finicky fish that are difficult to qt. Any small issues I did have they took care of immediately and are quick to respond.

FYI - you mentioned a 30 day copper treatment in you previous post. They don't do a 30 day copper treatment. They do a 14 day copper treatment and then a 14 day observation after that with prazi and metro. I used to do this qt myself, but its easier to pay someone to do it and their prices for qt'd fish are very reasonable.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered over $3000 worth of fish from them over several orders and have always been really happy. This includes several finicky fish that are difficult to qt. Any small issues I did have they took care of immediately and are quick to respond.

FYI - you mentioned a 30 day copper treatment in you previous post. They don't do a 30 day copper treatment. They do a 14 day copper treatment and then a 14 day observation after that with prazi and metro. I used to do this qt myself, but its easier to pay someone to do it and their prices for qt'd fish are very reasonable.
As long as they are treated with copper 14 days still works well. All my other fish were qt for 14 days in copper.

I have heard that some of the fish from Dr reef can arrive super small

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they are treated with copper 14 days still works well. All my other fish were qt for 14 days in copper.

I have heard that some of the fish from Dr reef can arrive super small
Yes they can definitely arrive small. I've gotten a mix of decent size fish and some super tiny ones. Regardless if you order from Biota direct or Dr Reef, the yellow tang you get is going to be small. Mine is about 1.5, maybe 2" at best.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they can definitely arrive small. I've gotten a mix of decent size fish and some super tiny ones. Regardless if you order from Biota direct or Dr Reef, the yellow tang you get is going to be small. Mine is about 1.5, maybe 2" at best.
Do you think it will be fine to put him straight into my DT without other fish hurting this little guy? I know my clowns won't do anything but my hippo blue could but he is small.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it will be fine to put him straight into my DT without other fish hurting this little guy? I know my clowns won't do anything but my hippo blue could but he is small.
How big is your blue hippo? I would think you are fine as long as you have fairly peaceful fish

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your blue hippo? I would think you are fine as long as you have fairly peaceful fish
He is about 4 inches maybe less. The hippo is very peaceful. I have a flame angel but I am removing him next week. Nipping at corals.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is about 4 inches maybe less. The hippo is very peaceful. I have a flame angel but I am removing him next week. Nipping at corals.
I think you should be fine to add it. I also have a 4" blue hippo and he could care less about other the other tangs in the tank.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 70 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.9%
Back