What’s this year's HOT coral??

Wh00pS32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This year for me..(as in what Ive seen local.. golden euphyllia.. I bought a frag: decent size, for 100$ 1.5-2yrs ago and my lfs in Carrollton hi as a large golden torch for 1200$ each!!!!! Needless to say I am going to frag mine for some in store credit or more gear.. trends get me.which is why I love this hobby sometimes... i am going to start an aiptasia trend lol... I'll figure a way to splice jelly fish Dna with them just like fresh water fish and sell them at a premium for pink,yellow,gold and green aiptasia... lol..

Please do, i would be sitting on a fortune here

IMG_20190519_093300.jpg

Starry eyed blue and gold aiptasia only 200 per polyp :)

Back on topic, current must haves are any nice looking euphyllia, all due to the indo ban and Australian euphyllia being pretty expensive to start with.

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say euphyllia definitely. 6 months ago I was able to get a combo of a hammer and torch frag for only 100$ and now the prices have doubled.
Scolys also seem to be super expensive and hot right now. Though they kind seem to always be on the higher end of things.
LPS in general just seem to be IN right now.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!!

With this year 1/2 way over already and seemingly going faster, what in your opinion is this years “hot” coral?

Last year I feel was rock mushrooms and all here forms. The year before that I feel was acans.
There’s a large turn for Goniopora the passed few months and feel these will deliver. The new species are much healthier (I believe from where they were collected) with colors that blow the mind. It’s amazing that just in a short period of time they went from being a 6 month to what’s current.

I just purchased my 1st known to live species, a rainbow short tentacle from my LFS here locally. With 20 more species at his shop and colors that keep on giving with there dancing polyps flowing in the currents.

So what’s your outlook on this matter? From what’s hot to if your a collector and would like to show of that clutch picture of a crazy Goni colony, please go ahead

EDIT:pplease. Don’t laugh at the size of my frag

690BDC70-CD5E-4158-91A5-4F4F0C6C7380.jpeg

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!!

With this year 1/2 way over already and seemingly going faster, what in your opinion is this years “hot” coral?

Last year I feel was rock mushrooms and all here forms. The year before that I feel was acans.
There’s a large turn for Goniopora the passed few months and feel these will deliver. The new species are much healthier (I believe from where they were collected) with colors that blow the mind. It’s amazing that just in a short period of time they went from being a 6 month to what’s current.

I just purchased my 1st known to live species, a rainbow short tentacle from my LFS here locally. With 20 more species at his shop and colors that keep on giving with there dancing polyps flowing in the currents.

So what’s your outlook on this matter? From what’s hot to if your a collector and would like to show of that clutch picture of a crazy Goni colony, please go ahead

EDIT:pplease. Don’t laugh at the size of my frag

690BDC70-CD5E-4158-91A5-4F4F0C6C7380.jpeg

Anything locally aquacultured.

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Goni...I scored my frag for $40 and have seen them since for $80 so going up for sure. Also, scoly's still crazy $$. I won one in a drawing and it is dying a slow painful death in my tank after looking hawt for a good 5 months...I will not be replacing.

Here's my Goni :) this is older I need to grab an updated pic there's been considerable growth...
AD146725-6865-4BA5-937C-377FFF929133.jpeg

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis have certainly had a surge in demand from what I see on the LiveSale threads and I notice them offered much more when I’m “window shopping” online coral sites. However euphyllia, specifically Gold or Orange Torch/ Hammers, have to be the front runners by a long shot.

*Zoas, Palys, and some Bounces appear to have a somewhat sustained demand that seems to stand the test of time with new strains causing small spikes in popularity among the FS boards and online vendors.

But still, Gold/Orange Euphyllia were voted most popular in this year’s yearbook IMO

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So LPS seem to always bring that new hot coral?
From there flesh bouncing in the current to there bright hot hues of color ripping through the polyps. A nice LPS always delivers those wows.
I am a wall fanatic. Just love how they grow and curve to there hearts content.
I will agree that euphilia have nearly doubled in price with quality specimens. At RAP Orlando the walls were $200+ for only a 2-3 inch wall. Granted it was a tricolor variant and will be getting one when they don’t look recessed for a day of poking them to pay 200$, And right up front in the frag tanks at that.

An amazing world we have and still have so much to learn

Love the pictures
I’m currently gonzo for Goni’s

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Goni...I scored my frag for $40 and have seen them since for $80 so going up for sure. Also, scoly's still crazy $$. I won one in a drawing and it is dying a slow painful death in my tank after looking hawt for a good 5 months...I will not be replacing.

Here's my Goni :) this is older I need to grab an updated pic there's been considerable growth...
AD146725-6865-4BA5-937C-377FFF929133.jpeg
Same thing happened to my Scoly. Looking amazing for 5 - 6 months and then slowly died. Not getting another. Big reason they are so expensive is you can't frag em

pjgazmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will be what the good photographers show that is gonna be what is hot anytime, i would say individual preferences

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back