What’s worked for me

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly let me state I claim to be no reef guru - I’m a newbie but thought I would share some of the things that have got me, 7 months in, with a stable tank and to date no losses of fish or coral (again I appreciate ‘tomorrow’ could be a different story).
  1. My LFS has a Red Sea Reefer 170 as a display tank. It’s absolutely stunning - so I decided to speak to them about what they had, equipment wise, and why they had those things. I then decided to replicate exactly the set up as, after all, it was clearly working. Of course I appreciate that a new tank, reactor, skimmer, LEDs and the latest lighting isn’t cheap but I funded a fair chunk by selling my Malawi tank (40 fish, LEDs, two external filters, other equipment and the tank itself were all sold separately to maximise the return). eBay was a valued money source as I raided by house for anything I could sell which, in truth, I was simply hoarding for no reason. I also bought the various bits over a period of a few months whilst I was researching so it spread the cost.
  2. I looked at a wealth of videos, on YouTube, to decide what fish and corals I should look to get as well as how to mature the tank and everything else required to maintain it. I spent two months on the research part.
  3. Having bought all the equipment I then got the shop to set the tank up for me. This was useful from the perspective of making sure I started out right (took them 3 hours so I think it would have taken me loads more with potential for floods etc). However, the downside (which soon became evident) was I didn’t really understand how everything worked and interacted with each other. As an example I didn’t appreciate that when the reactor was not tumbling as much it was because of the sponge filter needing cleaning) - so I would still have them set it up, if I started again, but I’d pay greater attention whilst they were doing it.
  4. I matured the tank as per the instructions - I took 5 weeks for this phase.
  5. I then gradually added the clean up crew and fish. These were added over a period of 10 weeks to ensure the system adequately coped.
  6. I had the algae problem but kept it down as best I could manually - the key seemed to be when I got hair algae - I ‘hired’ a Sea Hare and it did a great job (backed up by my clean up crew) in resolving the issue.
  7. Three months in and I added my first corals - my water perimeters (including calcium, alkalinity etc) were perfect at this time - I wanted to get corals I really wanted so was prepared for the looking after whatever their requirements.
  8. I’m now into 7 months - I’ve got all the fish, and corals, I want for the time being as I want to let them grow on and to date I’ve had no losses.
  9. My husbandry involves weekly water changes of 15%. Daily cleaning of skimmer cup and topping up of the auto top up unit. I’m using the Red Sea Recipes and I feed the fish a very varied diet. Filter sock is changed every three days. My water (both salt and plain RO) is bought from my LFS already made up so I just heat it prior to the water change.

In summary - I think I’m in a good place. The key has been good research, right equipment (best you can afford), compatible livestock and loads of patience. I appreciate things might change, without warning, but so far so good. I hope anyone looking to start up their own reef might find some useful pointers here.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32F6909D-6710-4FAE-AC98-2477ECAC1F54.jpeg

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies - not tech enough to understand why some photos are right way up and others not (especially when they were all the same way round on my iPad)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
very helpful post for all to read,nice tank,pics happy reefing

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
oh no worries i love standing on my head to look at cool pics lol

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice. Thanks for sharing. And I won’t beat you up for putting a tang in 170L, after all, I did the same.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.1%
Back