What’s wrong?? Montipora color

  • Thread starter Thread starter fsas89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

fsas89

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 21, 2021
Messages
295
Reaction score
153
Location
california
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what’s the issue with this guy, started on his underside and now it’s getting it all over. Is it too much light should I move it to a shaded spot?
AD616A88-09F7-47EB-8920-50C539FD489F.jpeg
D5ED7A31-A7A3-452B-94F7-FE2E11D8585C.jpeg
 
I am not sure what’s the issue with this guy, started on his underside and now it’s getting it all over. Is it too much light should I move it to a shaded spot?
AD616A88-09F7-47EB-8920-50C539FD489F.jpeg
D5ED7A31-A7A3-452B-94F7-FE2E11D8585C.jpeg
What color is it supposed to be? Looks bleached.
 
also... it looks like it has been trying to grow straight up, not enough light.

can you share your tank setup - details and water parameters? maybe a full tank shot as well.

any other corals in the tank? how are they doing?


J.
 
Mine went the same and did nt recover. I put it down to a swing in alk I was having at the time
20210127_170059.jpg
 
That thing looks like a gonner already....
What do you have it mounted to?
Doesnt look like liverock.
It’s on a plug sitting on the only non live rock in the tank. It has been doing fine for the last two months
 
I
Mine went the same and did nt recover. I put it down to a swing in alk I was having at the time
20210127_170059.jpg
have been stability issues with my ph and using seachem reef buffer almost daily to catch up my ph. Doesn’t that lower the alk? Maybe that is the issue.
 
I
also... it looks like it has been trying to grow straight up, not enough light.

can you share your tank setup - details and water parameters? maybe a full tank shot as well.

any other corals in the tank? how are they doing?


J.
have only had it for two months, I recently moved it higher in tank, but it was already pretty high to begin with direct under the light. All my other coral are fine, zoas, favia, Xenia, leather etc

I’m not home for another picture, the only issue I’m having is ph and using seachem ph buffer to try to get that up
 
Ok thanks for the advice. What product works best for alk and testing for it?
Baking soda is cheap and highly effective. Get a good testing kit like Hanna, Salifert or Red Sea. Stay away from API.
 
I

have only had it for two months, I recently moved it higher in tank, but it was already pretty high to begin with direct under the light. All my other coral are fine, zoas, favia, Xenia, leather etc

I’m not home for another picture, the only issue I’m having is ph and using seachem ph buffer to try to get that up
As JGT said focus on Alkalinity SPS will not tolerate ALk swings
 
I

have been stability issues with my ph and using seachem reef buffer almost daily to catch up my ph. Doesn’t that lower the alk? Maybe that is the issue.

have you tested your Alkalinity recently?

if you're only dosing this buffer to chase PH, and not to keep Alk levels where they need to be, there's a very high possibility your alk is through the roof.


J.
 
have you tested your Alkalinity recently?

if you're only dosing this buffer to chase PH, and not to keep Alk levels where they need to be, there's a very high possibility your alk is through the roof.


J.
I just ordered a alk test kit. I’m really new to keeping coral and I was really focused on ph, salinity, nitrates, calcium. Now I realize alk is probably one of the most important ones!
 
Looks bleached and dead. I agree, its growing up, so you probably don't have sufficient lights.
It’s only two months old in my tank. It was originally that cup shape growing like that. You think it’s cuz of low lighting it grew upwards?
 
I just ordered a alk test kit. I’m really new to keeping coral and I was really focused on ph, salinity, nitrates, calcium. Now I realize alk is probably one of the most important ones!

don't go chasing PH. let the tank run at the PH it wants, focus on salinity, Alk, Ca.


J.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new