What’s wrong with my fish

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I I woke up in the middle in the night today and saw my fish doing this, all my other fish are fine and my parameters are fine so I don’t know what’s wrong, the only things that were out of the ordinary that happened lately was I was setting up a automatic feeder and a bunch of fish food fell in a few times, I took all of it out but he ate every time, also he has been pooping like this for a couple of months.

4C2AF6AB-F16B-4A82-BD3E-CEA3F113476D.jpeg 260557B9-24BA-403D-A459-81E6235B270F.jpeg 855CC9C8-2D04-48FC-9253-6CECA4B159B6.jpeg 06027AB1-4900-4FC2-944D-3DAF8048EA6A.jpeg 0F4459DD-7046-46FB-9EF7-E7A97E9E2325.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The fish shows fin nipping which may be from aggression and appears moribund and survival chances are 50/60. You can provide additional oxygen with air stone which may or may not help.
Has it been eating and being antagonized by any tankmates ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

there was no mention of the decoration the fish is hiding in . But I remember years ago there was evidence of some sort of toxin released from artificial decor .

Could this be a possibility ?
Is there test kits to test for anything that could possibly leach from these items ?
I run carbon and isn’t the point of carbon to remove impurities from the water, also he was pooping weird when I first got him so i dont think it was from the décor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish shows fin nipping which may be from aggression and appears moribund and survival chances are 50/60. You can provide additional oxygen with air stone which may or may not help.
Has it been eating and being antagonized by any tankmates ?
It died but my hermit crabs tried to get to him

Upvote 0

777_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can post a Video for us to see what is actually going on it can be a variety of things or something is off in your tank what are the numbers at?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A temperature or minor salinity drop won’t cause this. Velvet has very subtle symptoms at first, and fish can die 36 or so hours later, so it is very fast.
Jay
Will a freshwater dip make sure my other fish don’t get whatever it had?

Upvote 0

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

As several of us have already said, including experts like @Jay Hemdal, in many threads similar to this one and the stickied posts that I linked earlier in this thread, therapeutic copper is the one treatment that will universally kill all of the biggest and most deadly saltwater diseases.

Freshwater dips can buy you a little extra time with some diseases, but they will not kill all of the parasites in all different stages of their life cycle in your tank, they will only make some parasites that are actively on the fish themselves detach.

Upvote 0

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my numbers were perfect so i really have no idea what happened
Your fish got a parasite, most likely velvet. Your whole tank is at significant risk now unless you take immediate action.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish got a parasite, most likely velvet. Your whole tank is at significant risk now unless you take immediate action.

Do you know if seachem metroplex would have cured the fish or would i have had to use copper because i was just about to feed him some a few days ago?

Upvote 0

SaJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting
Hey Leo, the point of that comment from what I've been reading and to your responses are as if your not paying attention to what the experts are advising you to do in hopes of saving the remaining fish you have that were exposed. You have asked what you can do for your remaining fish and Jay advised what you should do. To be sure your display tank will recover you need to remove your remaining fish into a quarantine/hospital tank amd trest them with Copper. Your display tank needs to remain fallow (without fish) for at least 45 days preferably 8 weeks to be sure the parasites that killed your fish in question has run its course because if you don't do as you were advised to do , you may lose your remaining fish and infect any future fish you want to add to that display. That's all they are saying. It's better to be safe then sorry in this hobby. Good Luck amd God Bless ;)

Upvote 0

SaJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Leo, the point of that comment from what I've been reading and to your responses are as if your not paying attention to what the experts are advising you to do in hopes of saving the remaining fish you have that were exposed. You have asked what you can do for your remaining fish and Jay advised what you should do. To be sure your display tank will recover you need to remove your remaining fish into a quarantine/hospital tank amd trest them with Copper. Your display tank needs to remain fallow (without fish) for at least 45 days preferably 8 weeks to be sure the parasites that killed your fish in question has run its course because if you don't do as you were advised to do , you may lose your remaining fish and infect any future fish you want to add to that display. That's all they are saying. It's better to be safe then sorry in this hobby. Good Luck amd God Bless ;)
Sorry for my typos ;)

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No - it will only buy some time. If it is velvet, all of the fish that were exposed are at risk and should go through a 30 day coppersafe treatment.

Jay

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

there was no mention of the decoration the fish is hiding in . But I remember years ago there was evidence of some sort of toxin released from artificial decor .

Could this be a possibility ?
Is there test kits to test for anything that could possibly leach from these items ?

It could be, but we didn't have a full history on the tank. If other fish and invertebrates seem fine, then toxins in the water can almost always be ruled out.

I've used one of those pineapple aquarium ornaments when I did a "sponge bob" themed FW tank as a joke and it seemed fine.

Jay

Upvote 0

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can use Copper Power and it is safe for clownfish. I would also purchase Hydroplex and give your fish a ten minute SALTwater dip which is low stress and will kill the bugs on them and provide relief. The extended copper treatment will still need to be done and you will need to take your tank fallow. Also, purchase a test kit for copper (not API) to make sure you are hitting the correct dosage. And add an airstone and hiding pvc piece for your fish. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what copper should I use and is copper safe for clownfish?

I use coppersafe, and it is safe with clownfish. You usually need to adjust the dose with a copper test kit, but if you know the EXACT volume of water in your tank, you can dose according to the instructions on the bottle and get away with using a test kit.

Jay

Upvote 0
Back