What’s your experience with blue/green chromis schools?

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I’ve had this school of about 20 blue/green chromis I got around a year ago. They are currently in a 225G and being fed with frozen brime, cyclops, scraps of seaweed left the tangs, and small stuff in the water column throughout the day. So far there’s has been no aggression.

I wanted to know all your personal experiences with keeping schools like this if they were any different than mine?

IMG_8682.jpeg

Attachments

• 70313542664__ACC6FFBF-C61F-4256-9BAC-21CF4453C6D9.MOV
    751.7 KB

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty cool. I have never kept Chromis at home but I have seen many of them perish at lfs’ from diseases. Other people on here have reported that they had lots of aggression in their chromis schoals and so it seems that you must be doing something right for your fishes.

What fish (or fishes)is dominant in your tank? Could be a connection between the fish community structure and your success, beyond your feeding schedule???

OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty cool. I have never kept Chromis at home but I have seen many of them perish at lfs’ from diseases. Other people on here have reported that they had lots of aggression in their chromis schoals and so it seems that you must be doing something right for your fishes.

What fish (or fishes)is dominant in your tank? Could be a connection between the fish community structure and your success, beyond your feeding schedule???
For the past couple of months, the most dominant fishes in the tank would be the clownfish and doctor tang. Throughout the day they are someone scattered around the tank and when they get spooked or want food they all huddle up to the top or by the colony of acros. I think it's just the big swim area, the stocking, feeding, lots of holes in the rocks, and a big number of them that keeps them happy.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have two. Have had them for almost 2 years. They're always together and get along well. They take some heat from a mated pair of clowns once in awhile but it's mild. They eat everything, mysis, brine, krill, pellets, nori. A little different than your 20, but they are fun to watch.

Attachments

• 20230414_155830.jpg
    20230414_155830.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 33

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had up to 20 in my tank. They are cool when small, but after a year mine grew to 3+in. and i didnt lose any over that time. 20 chromis at 3 inches eat A LOT! and are so fast the other fish sometimes struggle to eat. I got rid of 16 and now have 4 annoyingly big chromis' in my tank still. I personally wouldnt do it again.

OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have two. Have had them for almost 2 years. They're always together and get along well. They take some heat from a mated pair of clowns once in awhile but it's mild. They eat everything, mysis, brine, krill, pellets, nori. A little different than your 20, but they are fun to watch.
I agree very interesting behavior from them everyone loves to see them moving around.

OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had up to 20 in my tank. They are cool when small, but after a year mine grew to 3+in. and i didnt lose any over that time. 20 chromis at 3 inches eat A LOT! and are so fast the other fish sometimes struggle to eat. I got rid of 16 and now have 4 annoyingly big chromis' in my tank still. I personally wouldnt do it again.
Oh wow that would be cool mine are are still a bit small in my opinion but I’m thinking of upgrading to a bigger tank in the future.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, an Auto Feeder is a must with Chromis, to keep the fighting and aggression down. I have three of these on my various aquariums, the first one I’ve had for four years and it’s still going strong.

OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, an Auto Feeder is a must with Chromis, to keep the fighting and aggression down. I have three of these on my various aquariums, the first one I’ve had for four years and it’s still going strong.

I agreed for me I like to feed them myself but an auto feeder would be nice if someone’s not home to often.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%

Back