What’s your favorite “colorless” fish?

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decades ago I was walking through the aisles of the LFS store checking out fresh water fish when I came to a tank with blue damsels lit by PC lighting.

I had a moment.

What was that?

It took fish keeping to a newlevel.

From the blue damsel, to the clownfish, to the yellow tang. How many of us followed that progression stocking up our tanks with the most colorful fish? Bright colors are a huge attraction in this hobby.

Then it continues with the corals. We are a hobby obsessed with colors and florescence.

But if you are in this hobby long enough you start looking at marine life differently.

I have three, less colorful, more camouflaged fish in my tank right now that I love. I wouldn’t have given them a second look years ago, but now I can appreciate them.

My first is what I believe is a female yellow watchman goby. It’s not yellow, but more brown and white. It paired up instantly with a pistol shrimp and can be quite amusing.

The second fish I acquired is an aiptasia eating file fish. You have to really look for this fish. You can often find it swaying with the current in a Sinularia coral. It blends in and can be mistaken for the coral.

Recently I bought a Scopas tang. It’s basically a yellow tang (Zebrasoma), but it has black fins, a white face, and a shimmer of yellow from the body under white lights.

One more fish I had years ago was an lawnmower Blenny. When people came over they loved looking for “Waldo.” He was often hiding in plain sight.

So, how do you feel about these “dull” fish. What they lack in color they often make up
in personality.

Do you have any in your tank? What’s your favorite?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a favorite of mine. Its a file fish that is camo in color.
20210805_115735.jpg

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decades ago I was walking through the aisles of the LFS store checking out fresh water fish when I came to a tank with blue damsels lit by PC lighting.

I had a moment.

What was that?

It took fish keeping to a newlevel.

From the blue damsel, to the clownfish, to the yellow tang. How many of us followed that progression stocking up our tanks with the most colorful fish? Bright colors are a huge attraction in this hobby.

Then it continues with the corals. We are a hobby obsessed with colors and florescence.

But if you are in this hobby long enough you start looking at marine life differently.

I have three, less colorful, more camouflaged fish in my tank right now that I love. I wouldn’t have given them a second look years ago, but now I can appreciate them.

My first is what I believe is a female yellow watchman goby. It’s not yellow, but more brown and white. It paired up instantly with a pistol shrimp and can be quite amusing.

The second fish I acquired is an aiptasia eating file fish. You have to really look for this fish. You can often find it swaying with the current in a Sinularia coral. It blends in and can be mistaken for the coral.

Recently I bought a Scopas tang. It’s basically a yellow tang (Zebrasoma), but it has black fins, a white face, and a shimmer of yellow from the body under white lights.

One more fish I had years ago was an lawnmower Blenny. When people came over they loved looking for “Waldo.” He was often hiding in plain sight.

So, how do you feel about these “dull” fish. What they lack in color they often make up
in personality.

Do you have any in your tank? What’s your favorite?
I used to have a reticulated puffer that was impossible to find in the rock work

RodeoClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Chessmanmark I’m just starting my tank and I have to admit, while all the different colored angels and whatnot looked awesome, I knew pretty much right off the bat I wanted a filefish. They’re exceptionally camouflaged, unique in appearance, and their behavior is enjoyable to watch.

Back when Randy and Ryan from BRS were doing their live video updates in front of the BRS 160 tank I’d play a little game called “find the filefish” to keep my attention since some of those videos went exceptionally long.

TL;DR - +1 for filefish

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Chessmanmark I’m just starting my tank and I have to admit, while all the different colored angels and whatnot looked awesome, I knew pretty much right off the bat I wanted a filefish. They’re exceptionally camouflaged, unique in appearance, and their behavior is enjoyable to watch.

Back when Randy and Ryan from BRS were doing their live video updates in front of the BRS 160 tank I’d play a little game called “find the filefish” to keep my attention since some of those videos went exceptionally long.

TL;DR - +1 for filefish
Here is another cool pic of my filefish in my 120.

20210805_115806.jpg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since many people don’t class black as a colour, I’ll say this is by far my favourite! Black Clown Goby, also goes by the name Midnight Coral Goby. By far the best personality fish I’ve ever watched! Here’s a photo of mine, it only went into the tank today so it’s still acclimating to the tank.
EFDC5910-45B3-4312-AB8F-ADCA1CD7C301.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a photo of the same clown goby just about 10-20 minutes later, completely translucent! It’s to strange how creatures like fish get shrugged off by 70% of the population as “Just fish” then you actually watch them and they work in curious ways!
E28BE4FD-F5D7-4CCF-BDF7-324B53154AEA.jpeg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is very sociable. Can't even take a picture without him photobombing. He actually pecks my fingers at dinnertime.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a photo of the same clown goby just about 10-20 minutes later, completely translucent! It’s to strange how creatures like fish get shrugged off by 70% of the population as “Just fish” then you actually watch them and they work in curious ways!
E28BE4FD-F5D7-4CCF-BDF7-324B53154AEA.jpeg
With my black background, I thought I’d never see him but actually, even though he’s black, I always spot him - Hopefully he eats frozen today, if not then it’ll be alright because I know he was fed yesterday in the LFS (He didn’t eat yesterday in my tank but that’s understandable). Another fish that isn’t colourful but gains a ton in personality:
Any dull Blenny (The one I own at the moment is a Dot dash Blenny, Escenius lineatus). Filled with personality all over! image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Banghai cardinal

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a chunky, 6 inch Starry Blenny at my LFS. I would have snapped it up on the spot if I didn't have a 50g cube. It was mostly brown and white but elegant and enthralling somehow. He looked like he was made of pure muscle. He was taking large unproductive bites off a rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back