What 4ft tank would you buy: RSR 425 XL, IM INT 100, WB 105.4 or CD Pro 100?

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my next tank and I'd love any feedback. For context, I currently have a Red Sea Reefer 170, which is great, but I'm starting to outgrow it. I have a baby Kole tang that is now probably 3" long so I've chosen 4ft as the ideal length to make sure he/she has ample swimming space. Don't worry the Kole tang will be the only tang and all the other fish are nano tank small. As for coral, it's going to be a mixed reef with a lot of SPS. Onto the options:

Red Sea Reefer 425 XL
  • Dimensions: 47" long, 22" deep, 22" tall
  • Volume: 88g display, 24g sump, 112g total
  • Cost: $2.4k
  • Pros:
    • I've had two Red Sea tanks in the past and they're very solid.
    • Great community support for modifications (plumbing a Clarisea) or add-ons (ClearView lid).
    • Everything is pre-plumbed and the sump/stand utilization is solid.
    • I need to have a white stand because of our home decor and Red Sea's white stands match well.
  • Cons:
    • I really wish it were 2" deeper and 2" shorter. 48"x24"x20" or 48"x24"x18" would be perfect IMO as it gives more aquascaping depth.
    • I know there have been some defects with larger RSRs & bowed tanks, but I don't think it happened with the 425.
  • Conclusion: Probably the most practical route. I'd have a lot of confidence with this purchase.
Innovative Marine INT 100
  • Dimensions: 48" long, 24" deep, 20" tall
  • Volume: 100g display, bring your own sump, 100g + sump total
  • Cost: $1.3k (no sump + no stand)
  • Pros:
  • Cons:
    • No white stand is a real bummer. Even if I bought their stand I'd have to paint it white and I like the modern look of RSR stands more.
    • I'm not sure about the wall to wall overflow. I could get the EXT 100, but then the tank would stick out from the wall a bit.
    • If I got this tank, but then bought a stand separately + custom sump it would end up being more than the RSR 425.
  • Conclusion: If they had a great white stand option, I'd probably get it to be honest. The dimensions, pricing, and plumbing are all ideal.
WaterBox 105.4 Frag System
  • Dimensions: 48" long, 24" deep, 16" tall
  • Volume: 72g display, 30g, 105g total
  • Cost: $2.2k
  • Pros:
    • Basically everything you get with the RSR 425 XL but 6" shorter and 2" deeper. I wish it were 18" tall, but I still like the dimensions. It'd have an almost lagoon feel to it.
    • High-quality white stand is a plus.
  • Cons:
    • The tank will have a lot of SPS so I worry 16" just won't be high enough and the novelty of the dimensions will fade over time.
    • I've seen some mixed results with their quality, but they do seem to resolve it.
    • I don't like their sump layout as much as the RSR. I plan to have a skimmer + refugium + clarisea and I'd probably have to get a custom sump if I went this route.
  • Conclusion: If it were 2" taller, I think I'd get it. I just think 16" is too short (yes I know it's supposed to be a frag tank) and over time I'd outgrow it. Ah so close.
Crystal Dynamics Easy Reef PRO
  • Dimensions: 48" long, 24" deep, 20" tall
  • Volume: 100g display, bring your own sump, 100g + sump total
  • Cost: $3.4k
  • Pros:
    • Perfect dimensions just like the IM INT 100.
    • You can get it with everything you'd want: custom lid, panel in the stand for electronics, metal stand with magnet skin for easy access, modern white stand decor options, etc.
    • Love the dual returns nozzles. Would be ideal so I could do dual return pumps for maximum redundancy.
  • Cons:
    • Definitely the priciest of the bunch.
    • The wait time would be the longest and I've seen some threads where people who ordered from CD had serious delays.
    • I saw multiple posts about the tank having issues (ex: plumbing leaks) where they had to come back and address it multiple times. Paying for plug 'n play but then having to do it yourself doesn't sound like fun. They're located in SoCal and I'm in NorCal so I'd be on my own for any fixes.
    • I did see a few threads (or it could be one or two angry customers) about how they felt scammed and took them to court and that the company was facing cash flow issues. I'll be honest - this is a big turn off.
  • Conclusion: If they had glowing reviews and a reasonable turnaround time from purchase -> received, I'd probably get it, but it feels like a big risk compared to Red Sea or IM or WB.

Anything I'm missing? Any thoughts? Any other options I should consider? In some ways, I think the RSR 300 XL (36"x22.6"x22") is actually perfect for my house which isn't very big, but I don't think those dimensions are sufficient for a Kole tang long-term :( even if he's super spoiled, fat, & happy.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t matter what I would get. What do you want? Pick it and get it.

Things I would consider.
1. can I reach the bottom standing next to the tank?
2. can I reach the back corner leaning over the tank on a stool?
3. how much do I have to spend on equipment to suit the dimensions of the tank.

I think a Kole tang would be just fine in a 55 long or bigger tank. Koles don’t get big. I’m a big proponent of Tangs in the right space so take it for what it’s worth.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at red sea and went with a standard 120, 4x2x2, corner overflow. 40 breeder sump and steel, no center support stand.
Saved alot of cash for equipment.
Either way get the one that makes you happy.
I almost purchased the red sea, just did not want the center overflow.

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RSR 525 XL went in 2 months ago and I’m now starting to stock it, so the RSR 425 gets my vote. My existing RSR 250 has been going 2 1/2 years now and I still love it.

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider planet aquariums? They have a ton of different stands you can go with. I'm not into bigger rimless tanks so I did a rimmed, external overflow 48x24x21 with their elegance stand, tank also has starphire front panel. I did choose to get my own sump and plumbing

IMG_20200305_155805.jpg

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 90 gallon long (Aquarium only) and I like it. Full disclosure though, Its still sitting on a pallet in my living room since COVID interrupted building the stand.
They offer 2 versions of the 100g but only one for pnp. Ponis 48x24x20. Tank only is 48x20x24

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!

Doesn’t matter what I would get. What do you want? Pick it and get it.

Things I would consider.
1. can I reach the bottom standing next to the tank?
2. can I reach the back corner leaning over the tank on a stool?
3. how much do I have to spend on equipment to suit the dimensions of the tank.

I think a Kole tang would be just fine in a 55 long or bigger tank. Koles don’t get big. I’m a big proponent of Tangs in the right space so take it for what it’s worth.

All great considerations and even more of a reason to skew for 18" or 20" tall tanks because they're easier to do maintenance on. Also, I'm with you Koles don't need a huge tank. Mine mainly grazes all day and is very happy/healthy so a Red Sea 300 XL (36x22.6x22) would probably suffice, but considering I've gone from a RSR Nano to RSR 170 I want to skip the middle man upgrade and go straight to the 4 footer this time :cool:

Thanks - I didn't see any white stand options and that's a must for me.

I’d go with the Red Sea Reefer 425 XL. But I like the dimensions for viewing, although scape can be more challenging.

It's still the front-runner. If I could just tweak the dimensions slightly - two inches deeper and two inches shorter I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Red Sea hands down.

Another vote for the RSR 425.

I looked at red sea and went with a standard 120, 4x2x2, corner overflow. 40 breeder sump and steel, no center support stand.
Saved alot of cash for equipment.
Either way get the one that makes you happy.
I almost purchased the red sea, just did not want the center overflow.

Solid choice. I don't have the carpenter chops to do my own stand otherwise I'd go this route with the IM INT 100 option.

Heres another option for you.

Fiji Cube 108 Gallon Rimless EXT Glass Tank + Stand + Sump + Water Res

These look solid. I like some of their smaller plumbed nano options, but for the 4 footer I don't think it adds anything that the Red Sea or WaterBox doesn't provide.

My RSR 525 XL went in 2 months ago and I’m now starting to stock it, so the RSR 425 gets my vote. My existing RSR 250 has been going 2 1/2 years now and I still love it.

Another vote for the RSR 425.

Consider planet aquariums? They have a ton of different stands you can go with. I'm not into bigger rimless tanks so I did a rimmed, external overflow 48x24x21 with their elegance stand, tank also has starphire front panel. I did choose to get my own sump and plumbing

IMG_20200305_155805.jpg

I spent some time on Planet's website after your recommendation and found a 48x24x21 tank (better dimensions than the RSR 425) on a white, modern stand. What I really like about this route is I could do a matching hood which would allow me to not need a mesh lid + I could add fans into the hood to prevent having to add a chiller.

Miamidchi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mega Matrix 120 is a great aquarium. Has a hood for no light spillage also. Mr. Saltwater Aquarium has a great series of youtube videos on setting one up and is a really nice tank by Planet Aquariums.

olive'sreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up the issues with Red Sea tanks leaking, stands breaking, and customer service not replacing things. I don't know if the leaking is a problem with the exact tank you are looking at though. I love the quality of my Innovative Marine tank.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up the issues with Red Sea tanks leaking, stands breaking, and customer service not replacing things. I don't know if the leaking is a problem with the exact tank you are looking at though. I love the quality of my Innovative Marine tank.
Every brand will have problems. You hear about Red Sea problems more often because I’m sure they sell 10 to 1 over there competitors. I have a redsea and I love it.

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every brand will have problems. You hear about Red Sea problems more often because I’m sure they sell 10 to 1 over there competitors. I have a redsea and I love it.
Forums, people love to rag on products they do not own, these people just regurgitate the "hear say". The same person pushes products they do own, I never understood why people need people to use the products they use. I personally do not care what other use.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%

Back