what a day

bumpkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if you guys have days like this? I got home from work and was about to enjoy dinner when something caught my eye....What's this? A new coral? What's this bright white thing in my tank? Upon closer inspection I have an acro skeleton where there was a thriving colony yesterday.....holy crap there goes another one. Why do all of my coals look bad? The lps are closed up the zoas and palys are only half open and none of my sps are polyped out. After careful examination I see that my tank is almost 85 degrees....oh and what's that smell? Would someone have sprayed clorox disinfectant and lit sented candles right beside my tank... I was about to lose my mind...huge water change and a mad fade to get fresh carbon. I finally started to calm down and accept that I had done everything that was in my power for tonight. I went to bed with some optimism that it would be minimal losses. After about 30 min I was shaken by a large thunder storm that took out the power. It has been off for about 3 hours now and living way out in the sticks like I do there is no telling when it will get turned back on. JUST WHAT THE TANK NEEDED. I love this hobby

justreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you think it couldnt get any worse. Sorry to hear about that man. Hope the power comes back on real quick. I have a back up generator just for this reason. Good Luck!

OP
OP
bumpkin

bumpkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks....just don't even care right now....so disgusted with the people who were told repeatedly a few simple rules about the tank....5 years and nothing like this has happened..:.what's a few thousand $ in livestock when someone wants the house to smell like a mountain breeze and save on the light bill by turning the air off

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you try telling them if you wanted the house to smell like mountain breeze you would of bought a house in the mountains.
i too have someone that doesnt seem understand the purpose of a thermostat and constantly turns the air off and on.

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you try telling them if you wanted the house to smell like mountain breeze you would of bought a house in the mountains.
i too have someone that doesnt seem understand the purpose of a thermostat and constantly turns the air off and on.

+1 to this... My gf is constantly messing with the thermostat in the apartment. Some days I come home and it's set at 75, other days it's set at 71. Every time I try to explain the how it affects the tank.

Same thing with chemicals. My tank is in the living room, right in front of the kitchen. Of course the kitchen is where most of the cleaning takes place (counters, stove top, etc). Ugh

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the main reason I ALWAYS run some carbon. It may not be perfect, but it can help get rid of chemicals in the water and sometimes prevent a disaster. But my fiance does the same thing, scented candles, carpet deodorizer, spray air freshener, etc and doesn't really get the fact that it can harm the aquarium. I just dealt with a 3 day power outage here in West Fargo not too long ago. Without a generator I would have been screwed.

Last edited:

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everything works out for you Heath. We had a power outage a couple of years back in NYC. Luckily I had the Vortech's with the backup battery that kept the water moving. Didn't have electricity for at least 10 hours.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that sucks dude hope you have minimal loss man that truely does suck as something similar happend to me but it was due to malfunction on a heater cooked my water and cost me some money in lost gems :cry::sad::cry:

OP
OP
bumpkin

bumpkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of across and a couple of chalices so far....it defiantly could have been worse. A little better day today.

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of across and a couple of chalices so far....it defiantly could have been worse. A little better day today.

Well that's good to hear man! Keep your head up, it will get better. I think everyone goes through their downs in this hobby. Heck, I have gone through at least two so far.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your problems. I'm looking to pick up a used generator incase a hurricane now that I have a larger amount invested in my reefs. Haven't had to worry yet, but I'm rethinking this. Many years here and always found a way around the power loss. I keep my tanks in the den (or my reef room) so that I can close the doors to cleaning days and kids that I may not be able to watch every second (slapping the tank at my tangs). Good luck with everything, it will get better.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back